To clarify, I do this;

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo chroot /mnt
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Does that look OK?
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans

Re: A fine mess... Partition help.

Perfect.

I should be more clear too. You could just use sda7, your 9.10 istall but then you would be on grub0.97 and the commands ore different and probably will not work from the 10.04 Live CD because it does not have that grub on it.

Just go with the commands you have in your post.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

OK folks. It's all good now. All partitions (except the swap while in sda7) are working fine now. I ran the commands as shown, and there was grub. Just had to run sudo update-grub from inside sda5 and there popped up sda7. Fantastic results!

I'm going to try and summarize this odyssey from what went wrong through to what fixed it. Worth it I think. I did get quite a spiel of "/poc/devices: fopen failed: No such file or directory!" and "grep: /proc/mounts: No such file etc..." after I entered update-grub, and after grub-install /dev... etc. But I just ignored the errors and pressed on to victory!

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and cajoling. I got to being pretty down on the whole mess a bit earlier today, but I took your advice and beat the bugger!

Cheers very much all. Now on to swap file repairs!

You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've heard rumors that sometimes you can fix Windows by simply hitting the computer with a hammer.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

All I can say is the guy has stamina.

Geeze am I glad that is over.

I think he needs to pat himself on the back a couple times at least.

I am going to have a beer.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am going to have a beer.
    Bill Gates should send you a six pack. And pizza.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

I wouldn't trust the stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What a great read. It was enlightening to see the spirit and fortitude of Ubuntu people helping each other, with such good humour at the end of it all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MAN YOU GUYS ARE GREAT haha. You need some kind of reward

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I thought long and hard about the hammer solution, and believe me when I say that more than once I considered just giving up and wiping everything and starting again. But I must state most clearly that this was all due to my own fiddling with something I should have spent much more time understanding prior to doing it. Were I a more impulsive individual, this laptop would have been in a lot of tiny pieces right now. However, that would have been a shameful waste of a perfectly good machine that never intended to bother anyone in its life! One of the best things about Linux is the ability to control, and permanently change, virtually everything it does. The very thing that makes Linux so good turned out in my case to be its undoing. Sometimes the most difficult thing to understand with Ubuntu is that very little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing. This kind of worries me, as in my many years as a journeyman mechanic, I always hammered home to my apprentices to be certain that they are not causing more damage than they are being paid to fix. In this case I completely failed to listen to my own advice.

If there is one thing I am going to take away from here, it is this: Take the time to fully understand what you are doing before making any changes!

Hi. My name's Dave, and I'm an Ubuntuholic.

Hats off you guys. Nice work.

(Forensic analysis to follow soon. If I can figger it out)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast