Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A fine mess... Partition help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A fine mess... Partition help.

It is a good thing that you posted the boot info results. Now, if one of the wise Ubuntu masters will just look at this thread, I feel certain that your problem can be fixed. While I think I can see where the problem is, I won't offer any advice for fear of messing things up worse by giving incorrect information. I wish there were a way of drawing more attention to this thread, but I guess that bumping it to the top of the forum every day is all that can be done until a guru comes along. Above all, don't do anything crazy out of frustration.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Above all, don't do anything crazy out of frustration.
    I got myself into this mess by being impulsive! Live and learn as they say...

Thanks for the bump!
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans

OK, this will take some study. I will copy the boot info to gedit for easier reading.

I would really like you to do to things. One is to check your /boot/grub/device-map and make sure it is right. You may not have one at all as they are clearing it out.

Then I would like you to;
    Code:
    gksudo /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    and copy/paste this into that file;
    Code:
    echo "Adding XP on sda1" >&2 
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "XP on sda1" {
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 00acffe0acffcde2
        drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
        chainloader +1
    }
    EOF
    Save that file as 06_custom. Get into nautilus as root and check the permissions on that file. There is a box for making the file executable as a program that must be checked or the script will not run.

Run'
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and
    Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig
    and look at the results of that one carefully and make sure that the MS entry is at the top of the menu. If not you did not get the permissions right on the 06_custom file.

Assuming it is right, just to make sure that the MBR is cleanly install upon;
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    reboot and see if it works.

If not you are going to have to recover the MS boot loader. Do not look to me for help on that. Haven't a clue and do not want one (yes there is a little hostility toward that fine bunch here).

Then you can re install grub on the MBR from your live CD.

You might want to check both your /etc/fstab files to make sure they match your new partition table. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Give the custom entry a whack and see if it helps.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As for the swap not being mounted... In my experience, this always happens when you resize a linux partition. It can be easily fixed by editing the fstab file. However, I don't believe that is what is preventing you from succesfully booting into Windows.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular

Beans
    Distro

Wow. Thanks guys. I'm going to start working through Ranch Hands directions and post back asap. Might take a bit.

Thanks again.
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I would really like you to do two things. One is to check your /boot/grub/device-map and make sure it is right. You may not have one at all as they are clearing it out.
    This is all that is within device.map on sda7;

(hd0) /dev/sda

It's the same within sda5. Both sda5 and sda7 are the linux partitions. I'm going to edit this entry as I go along.

One question I have is does it matter which partition I am in when I do this?
    Last edited by Nesaskewatch; April 13th, 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post

If not you are going to have to recover the MS boot loader. Do not look to me for help on that.
    Haven't a clue and do not want one
    (yes there is a little hostility toward that fine bunch here)..
    well, I have more than a "little" hostility...

Never-the-less, SuperGrub will recover your MS boot loader presto-change'o.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

it's all but automatic...
    And if it saves your bacon (or your job), then please consider a donation to the authors of supergrub.

(messing up MS's boot loader is easy, and fun.

so is fixing it...)
    "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price." -- Richard Stallman
    So don't forget to tip your software authors!

I'm a Fireman... what's YOUR superpower?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm going to edit this entry as I go along.
    Just a suggestion... Some of us rely on email notifications to tell us when a thread has new activity on it. We don't get those emails if you only edit an existing post. So a new post will probably get a quicker response for you.
    Last edited by 4Orbs; April 13th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.

Beans

That is what we want to see in the device map.

The easiest thing to do is do this from your 10.04 install as that is where you have your grub information. One of the great improvements in the new grub is the ability to do everything from where it lives instead of having to use a live CD (unless you can't boot at all).
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ranch Hand... both of his Ubuntu installs are ver 10.04.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast