Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: most productive GUI?

Beans

most productive GUI?

So,

I am trying to find out which GUI/Desktop layout is best for cluttered workflow. We have panels, docks, compiz/kwin, plasmoids and screenlets... there are so many options out there its difficult to fin which selection of options suits a heavy workload layout best.

Im currently opting for a single panel with taskbar. Window grouping is enabled and Expo and Scale (in KDE) enabled in the desktop corners.

Im using 4 workspaces at the time. One of them, for office stuff is usually cluttered with 5 or more PDF docs, 2 or more spreadsheets and a file browser window. I sometimes find the task manager rather inefficient for this. Being alt+tab the best opcion for navigating through windows...

What are your options on this?

Beans

Re: most productive GUI?

Hmm, if any of those things make any difference to your productivity, then you are playing instead of working...

I find that the only important thing is to have virtual desktops, since I'm always working on many different things at the same time and the virtual desktops help me to keep separate jobs separated.

Beans

i do play sometimes

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but in my opinion, the most productive desktop has been no desktop at all. If you want to trim out distractions and actually get things done, then my suggestion would be to move to a CLI-only arrangement.

But I say that to everything.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

CLi can get way to barebone to get anything done.
    Openbox + systray that minimizes when + some altering of the hetkeys will work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Forget menus, desktop icons and docks for finding and launching apps: just use GNOME-Do or an equivalent.

For managing open app's windows, multiple workspaces are a must. Beyond that, it's up to you. Alt-tab is pretty limited. Taskbars are pretty limited. Expo / scale plugins in compiz can be handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Get 2 monitor in this way you can see what the other application is doing.

Beans

Gnome Shell?

Maybe it isn't the fastest answer but for me it helps from an organization point of view so I can see where is what and I don't have to spend time finding it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Besides multiple workspaces, I find that keeping launchers for my most commonly used apps in the panel are very handy. 95% of the time I'm using either the terminal. a text editor, or firefox, so with those launchers + multiple workspaces, when something comes up I just switch to an empty workspace, click a launcher or two & I'm in business.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cespinal View Post
    Im using 4 workspaces at the time. One of them, for office stuff is usually cluttered with 5 or more PDF docs, 2 or more spreadsheets and a file browser window. I sometimes find the task manager rather inefficient for this. Being alt+tab the best opcion for navigating through windows...
    the middle click menu of open windows in openbox might work better if you have a bunch of stuff open on different workspaces. just set the margin on one side to 5, or 10 pixels (in order have room to middle click) and you're all set.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast