Thread: Wireless help needed

Beans
    Hidden!

Wireless help needed

This morning, I booted my notebook system and checked my email. All worked fine. I then shut my system down and left for the day. When I came home several hours later, the wireless network would not come up on my notebook system.

I also have two desktop systems. One of them runs a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10. The other runs Ubuntu 9.04. Both of these systems are running fine using the wireless router.

I am leaving on a trip on Monday and planned to take my notebook computer with me. However, without wireless capability, it will not be of much use

I am at a loss on what to look for and what to try. I have a Bonobo performance system just as it came from System 76. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless help needed

Odd, did you do any updates?

Try rebooting the machine just to see if one of the drivers got hung somewhere. What wireless card do you have in there? Is there a key combo for disabling wireless?

Beans

Every once in awhile my Toshiba laptop drops the wireless and it can't even find a network even though it is on. All i do is plug in a wireless usb dongle that I bought for about $10 and it goes online without a hitch. The next tilme I reboot I will remove the dongle to see if it is working, and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it does not.

This is my minor issue with 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Odd, did you do any updates?

Try rebooting the machine just to see if one of the drivers got hung somewhere. What wireless card do you have in there? Is there a key combo for disabling wireless?
    I didn't find a key combination to disable wireless. However, I did find a key combination to use "before installing a LAN module" I had never done this (all software was installed by System 76 before my system was delivered) and had never had a problem. I used the Fn/F11 combination and the wireless network started. I have no idea what key sequence disables wireless. I'm sure that it's in the "Concise user's Guide", but that book is just about useless in my opinion. In any case, this problem seems to be solved. Thanks for your response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    I didn't find a key combination to disable wireless. However, I did find a key combination to use "before installing a LAN module" I had never done this (all software was installed by System 76 before my system was delivered) and had never had a problem. I used the Fn/F11 combination and the wireless network started. I have no idea what key sequence disables wireless. I'm sure that it's in the "Concise user's Guide", but that book is just about useless in my opinion. In any case, this problem seems to be solved. Thanks for your response
    Fn/F11 is probably toggle wireless