Thread: NoClassDefFoundError when class is in classpath?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

NoClassDefFoundError when class is in classpath?

What would the reasons be for getting a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError if you are certain you have the needed class listed in your classpath? I'm trying to run a bash script that starts a java process which calls a web service, but I keep getting an error saying a class definition that is in webservices.jar is not found.

Here's the first part of the java command (minus the arguments for the AddMeasurement web service):
    Code:
    java -cp webservices.jar:ffdc.jar:wsdl4j.jar:ras.jar:bootstrap.jar:emf.jar:wsexception.jar:j2ee.jar:ESBCommon.jar:ESBClient.jar com.ibmsoa.client.driver.AddMeasurement
    As you can see, my classpath includes webservices.jar, which includes com.ibm.ws.webservices.engine.components.logger.Lo gFactory:
    Code:
    # for file in *.jar; do echo "$file" && unzip -l "$file" | grep LogFactory; done
    bootstrap.jar
    emf.jar
    ESBClient.jar
    ESBCommon.jar
    ffdc.jar
    j2ee.jar
    ras.jar
    webservices.jar
          935  11-05-04 12:09   com/ibm/ws/webservices/engine/components/logger/LogFactory$1.class
         1364  11-05-04 12:09   com/ibm/ws/webservices/engine/components/logger/LogFactory.class
    wsdl4j.jar
    wsexception.jar
    But I'm getting this error:
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/ws/webservices/engine/components/logger/LogFactory
    Any ideas?

Beans

Re: NoClassDefFoundError when class is in classpath?

Hi,
    Give the directory path of host machine webservices.jar in classpath.

Beans

Re: NoClassDefFoundError when class is in classpath?

A complicated answer is that there a custom classloader that does not have the same classpath as the system classpath (what you specified on the command line).

I see you are using a bash script to verify that the class you are looking for is in the classpath. How about using this command to try to run the class you are looking for? It is a better way:

Code:
    java -cp webservices.jar:ffdc.jar:wsdl4j.jar:ras.jar:bootstrap.jar:emf.jar:wsexception.jar:j2ee.jar:ESBCommon.jar:ESBClient.jar  com.ibm.ws.webservices.engine.components.logger.LogFactory
    Note that it is asking the JVM to initialize the LogFactory class and execute its static main(argv[]) method. You should get the following error message if the class *is* in your classpath:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
    Last edited by chonger; August 29th, 2006 at 05:22 PM.