Page 175 of 389 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 3886

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Quote Originally Posted by a50sn95 View Post
    I have been a MS user forever, and an MCSE since 2000. I've made my living supporting systems, on various OS's, but MS primarily.
    .... I installed Windows 8 about 3 weeks ago. I tried to like it. I just can't. It's a slap in the face to long time users that they are forced to adopt this new style. I can't imagine supporting a large desktop migration to Windows 8.
    I’m curious! Is it really that bad? Is there anything in specific you don’t like about WIN8 or is it the overall experience?

Beans

Thank you for this Forum....it was invaluable. I've used ZORIN for less than 48 hours and I've spent half of that setting up ONE scanner...still not totally finished but I've learned a lot.

I so want to dump windows forever and if I can just get my scanners and printer to work right, that's all that really matters!

Thank you very much for the support. Hope Linux systems grow and grow. Cheers.

C

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Rickubun2 View Post
    I’m curious! Is it really that bad? Is there anything in specific you don’t like about WIN8 or is it the overall experience?
    Hmm, where to start.
    Let me start by saying I loved Windows 7. Having supported XP desktops for years, and getting to understand that pretty well (I built the image our company used, and we used imagecast to distribute it.) I was an early adopter of Win7, and worked on creating an image for that. (different company)
    Having come from a desktop support role and understanding the amount of training it takes to get a user up to speed on a new feature of a single software product, or the amount of support required if you skip the training, the prospect of migrating to Win8 and the amount of training and hand holding seems mind boggling, and frankly, unnecessary. I venture that MOST corporations will skip Windows 8, and let their employees figure it out on their own as they upgrade their home systems over the next few years. I don't know the number, but I bet the amount of corporations on XP is still pretty high...

Now, my personal issues with Windows 8 are from a usability standpoint. Why the desktop user is forced to adopt the touch interface is the primary one.
    The system should check for the existence of a touch enabled display, and if one is not present, revert to the normal "Desktop" experience.
    For (what 2 decades?) a long time the user has been trained to go to the bottom left of the screen and click a button. To do anything, even turn off the machine. I had to google it to figure it out the first time.
    Yes, a lack of training on my part.
    But everything you do, reverts to the "Metro" interface.
    Play a video, it switches to the "Metro" enabled player, plays the video, and then when it is done, does it switch back where you were?
    No, it leaves you in the player, with no toolbar, menu, or clue on how to get out of it, or back to your desktop.
    I had to google it. (Alt-f4 closes the player, dumps you back to the Metro homepage, and then click on the desktop tile to get back to the desktop.)
    I tried to like the "Metro" desktop. I added stuff to it, clicked on them occasionally, but was ultimately dissatisfied with the lack of depth they provide. Clearly they were built very minimalist for use on a phone or tablet, and leave the desktop user wanting. I could go on, but not in this thread...

Finally, rumors that MS is going to a yearly release schedule, and dropping the Service Pack path indicates to me that it's all about extracting dollars from my wallet, rather then offering a useful and satisfying product.
    Me, I bought the Technet Subscription a few years ago, and re-upped it a couple of times. The 249.00 version gets you enough activation codes to install Win7 on 50 machines, plus Office, WHS, and virtually all the servers, etc. It does not get you the MSDN stuff...

So, I've started on a path to migrate my stuff from MS, and to Linux. (Ubuntu seems the best supported, although I've used Gentoo, Centos, and Fedora on my primary machines before.)
    This has gotten a bit long, but I tried to keep it short.....

Dennis

Beans

Hi, I'm Slaygod but I usually go by Jonah. I am 17 years old and a huge Linux fan. I started with Linux when requesting a Ubuntu CD back when you guys had the free CD program, because my internet was too slow to download Ubuntu very fast back then (this was back in 2006). I have faster internet now so I can download a distro in around 10-15 minutes. I have been an on and off user of Linux since. I decided to make my own distro this year which I am still working on planning (which is Ubuntu-based by the way *wink*). I'd love to be friends, so if you wanna chat, go ahead, and thanks for letting me join the Ubuntu forums!

Beans

for now i'll choose to remain hidden behind my screen name, but i will share with you that im 20 and just now really getting into linux, meaning ive had 2 college courses on fedora/red hat and decided to finally get vbox to run ubuntu over windows so i can have the choice of easy customization or something more set, which as a student in the network systems administration course i like because i can easily bounce between them and see some security issues on either. i am still nervous as to making a full switch to or even running linux as a secondary os (actually installed instead of vm'd) just from the fact that anyone can put a linux distro out there and have it filled with hidden bugs/viruses/etc and i currently am not an advanced enough user to see and eliminate most of these.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am always bouncing around to different distros. for some reason I keep coming back to Ubuntu. I love the simplicity and it was the first distro I tried in 2008. I am not a technical user as I wish I were but I do love learning. I find myself missing some things from other distros but I am excited to see where Ubuntu is headed.

Untold
    Ah, the sweet taste of freedom.

Beans

Welcome to the forums, everyone

Beans

Let's see where to begin. I'm currently a computer science major. I have been using ubuntu for quite sometime now. I originally started out using Slackware forever ago. I didn't really like it that well. So a year or so later i switched to ubuntu and I've been using it ever since. It's every thing I want in a computer. It's nice fast awesome and easy to use.

I find it funny. I've been a user forever and just now discovered these forums. I never even knew they exist xD

Beans

Hello everyone, my name is Quinn, and I've been using Ubuntu on and off (due to hardware compatibility) for about 2 years. I've really enjoyed using Ubuntu and I have played with it a bit, but haven't really gone too far into the command line stuff, so I hope to learn a bit from being here on the Ubuntu forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Hello Everyone,

I've been using Linux regularly since 2004 and have been a regular Ubuntu user for about three months. I had Mandriva as my main distro on my PC and laptop since 2004, but recently switched to Fedora and Ubuntu. I am seriously considering purchasing a laptop or all in one preloaded with Ubuntu. However I'm not sure , how I feel about the tight integration with Amazon; that might be a deal breaker, but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I enjoy reading these forums and have garnered quite a bit about running ZoneMinder on ubuntu.

I look forward to interacting here.

Happy New Year,

Dave

Page 175 of 389 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast