Page 93 of 389 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi all!!

I am Shawn, I installed wubi. I love Ubuntu!!! I have had it installed for like an hour, It will now be my primary OS. I have to keep windows for some of my college stuff. I can't wait to learn stuff about this OS. Can you devlop java on Ubuntu?

Beans

Smile Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi folks, I am a complete Ubuntu newbie... and am very happy to be here! I have my first Ubuntu system (Natty Narwhal) installed on an HP T1000, and so far so good! I have also installed it, as a second system, on my newest HP laptop (forget the model), and that's been really cool to play with. I need to learn a lot... so I'm hoping for help here? Many thanks, ahead of time I repair laptops for Outreach in Kenya, and have found that, due to the hacking issues with Windows, Ubuntu is the safest OS out there for them... now all they (and I) need to do is learn how to use it! I am excited!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Headlessmunky View Post
    Hi all!!

I am Shawn, I installed wubi. I love Ubuntu!!! I have had it installed for like an hour, It will now be my primary OS. I have to keep windows for some of my college stuff. I can't wait to learn stuff about this OS. Can you devlop java on Ubuntu?
    Welcome, yes you can develop java in Ubuntu. Just go in the software center and download eclipse or netbeans. Normally the JDK will automatically be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Laptop Outreach View Post
    Hi folks, I am a complete Ubuntu newbie... and am very happy to be here! I have my first Ubuntu system (Natty Narwhal) installed on an HP T1000, and so far so good! I have also installed it, as a second system, on my newest HP laptop (forget the model), and that's been really cool to play with. I need to learn a lot... so I'm hoping for help here? Many thanks, ahead of time I repair laptops for Outreach in Kenya, and have found that, due to the hacking issues with Windows, Ubuntu is the safest OS out there for them... now all they (and I) need to do is learn how to use it! I am excited!
    Welcome,

the learning is the most fun part of Linux. I'm still learning about Linux every day.

In Kenya you have lots of pirated installations right? Those are certainly insecure.

But you should also know that not every laptop is supported as good as yours. Some have problems with their graphical card, or with their wireless card.

Anyway,

happy ubuntu-ing

Beans

hi everyone,i'm a newbie using linux and it's been about two years since i first install it. but now im going serious about linux. please help me and thanks for this great forum.

Beans

My name is Morgan. I've been using Ubuntu for close to a year, perhaps, but I am still a gigantic noob. I know some basic terminal commands, but that's it.

I thought I was running Maverick Meercat, but I found out I was actually running Lucid Lynx.

I have a partition, with the other side of it being Windows 7. I only use it for the things I cannot do with Ubuntu, such as uploading videos to Livestream or playing EVE Online. I would be more interested in Windows if I could get one of those pretty alternate shells to work.

I hope to be more knowledgeable about Linux, and computers in general. So I might make this one of the forums I frequent.

Beans

Hi there,my name is Damiano.
    I'm a Xubuntu user and I love this Distro because it is lightweight and graphically simple.
    I'm studying C and C++ Programming language because,in a future,i would like to create games for Linux or create my own Distro.
    I hope i can learn more about Ubuntu in this forum ^^

P.S: I am the creator of the wallpaper that becomes part of this project.

http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org/en/...op-ubuntu-card

Beans

Greetings My name is Rey and I'm new to Linux. Only recently did I try my hand on this great and fascinating OS. At first I found it a little bit intimidating, but it's not Linux's fault, but rather due to my "Windows baggage" . I found this forum very informative and I hope I can learn from many great people here.

Beans
    Hidden!

glad to see so many new people coming into the community...

Beans

Hi all, I'm Jai and I'm (nearly) new to Ubuntu/Linux. I did install Ubuntu on my desktop PC sometime last year, but being an avid gamer I tended to still use Windows (is that word allowed here, heh) a lot.
    I've just formatted the Wifes laptop though, as her installation of Vista was choking up, and becoming frustrating to use. I suggested she tried Ubuntu, as she mainly uses the laptop for browsing ... or should I say shopping!
    We've had Natty Narwahl installed for a few days now, and she''s really impressed with the efficiency. She couldn't believe how fast the laptop booted up & shut down!
    I've set her up with a dual boot of Natty and Win 7 (both 64 bit, since I also just upped her RAM from 2GB to 4GB), although it defaults to Ubuntu when booting.

I am still a complete Ubuntu noob though, and I've browsed a little around the 'New to Ubuntu? Start here' section. Sometimes Ubuntu seems quite complicated to me, although a little searching the 'net usually shows me easy options for tasks I'm trying to undertake.

First impression :- Ubuntu looks functional and stylish, and seems very stable and fast. Hopefully I can progress and learn a lot more about this OS, because I like it a lot thus far.

One question for now :-

I'm about to invest in a new gaming rig - Is it worth trying to install games/software designed for Windows on Ubuntu? This is what put me off last time, trying to get my head around compatibility layers, WINE etc.

Thanks all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaibo View Post
    I'm about to invest in a new gaming rig - Is it worth trying to install games/software designed for Windows on Ubuntu? This is what put me off last time, trying to get my head around compatibility layers, WINE etc.

Thanks all.
    Nothing wrong with using Windows

As for your question, I would suggest checking out the Gaming and Wine sub-areas and if needed posting your question in a new thread in one of them

Page 93 of 389 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast