Page 90 of 389 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hello. My name is xutnubu, I'm from CR. Ready to share with the community.

Beans

Smile Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi folks. I'm new to Ubuntu, but not to Linux. I've used Linux since 1999, on and off, starting with an old 486 laptop. Mainly I've used Debian and Slackware, along with some distributions based on those two variants. For the last few years, I've been using Vector Linux, which is Slackware based.

Lately, I haven't felt comfortable with their release cycle, so I sought to look for something better to use. I used to have the time and patience to take apart distributions to make them run faster and more efficiently, but I don't have that kind of time anymore. An exhaustive search led me to Ubuntu. I noticed that you guys have a version with xfce. I loaded it about a month ago, in a revamped 4-year-old hp laptop that also runs WIndows 7 Professional. (Interestingly, shortly after I loaded xubuntu, I noticed that Linus Torvalds moved away from Gnome and KDE, and is now using xfce. I swear, I didn't know that until about a week later! Coincidence? )

So far, I haven't built anything from source yet, but I hope to try it soon. My continuing interest in Linux is further lined up with getting an Android phone a few months ago. I'd love to hack up a little program for that platform, if I can ever find the time for it. In any case, I use Linux for all the usual stuff (productivity, games, etc.), but am now using it a lot to run programs related to electronic engineering. I also do a lot of photo editing via GiMP.

This distro is certainly the best I've used so far. It runs as well (and sometimes better) as the WIn 7 install. Certainly, it's better on resources, and I haven't had anything crash on it. I want to build a line up of some multimedia software to use for audio recording, so that's the next step. I know I could use Ubuntu Studio, but I want a leaner setup.

This seems to be a great international community that's built up in the last few years. I'm glad you guys chose Debian as your base. Anyway, I'm done rambling.
    Last edited by howefield; September 8th, 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: reset font to default.

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Quote Originally Posted by xutnubu View Post
    Hello. My name is xutnubu, I'm from CR. Ready to share with the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by doc taz View Post
    Hi folks. I'm new to Ubuntu, but not to Linux. I've used Linux since 1999, on and off, starting with an old 486 laptop. Mainly I've used Debian and Slackware, along with some distributions based on those two variants. For the last few years, I've been using Vector Linux, which is Slackware based.

Lately, I haven't felt comfortable with their release cycle, so I sought to look for something better to use. I used to have the time and patience to take apart distributions to make them run faster and more efficiently, but I don't have that kind of time anymore. An exhaustive search led me to Ubuntu. I noticed that you guys have a version with xfce. I loaded it about a month ago, in a revamped 4-year-old hp laptop that also runs WIndows 7 Professional. (Interestingly, shortly after I loaded xubuntu, I noticed that Linus Torvalds moved away from Gnome and KDE, and is now using xfce. I swear, I didn't know that until about a week later! Coincidence? )

So far, I haven't built anything from source yet, but I hope to try it soon. My continuing interest in Linux is further lined up with getting an Android phone a few months ago. I'd love to hack up a little program for that platform, if I can ever find the time for it. In any case, I use Linux for all the usual stuff (productivity, games, etc.), but am now using it a lot to run programs related to electronic engineering. I also do a lot of photo editing via GiMP.

This distro is certainly the best I've used so far. It runs as well (and sometimes better) as the WIn 7 install. Certainly, it's better on resources, and I haven't had anything crash on it. I want to build a line up of some multimedia software to use for audio recording, so that's the next step. I know I could use Ubuntu Studio, but I want a leaner setup.

This seems to be a great international community that's built up in the last few years. I'm glad you guys chose Debian as your base. Anyway, I'm done rambling.

Welcome to you both, diverse community full of experience and neat ideas and with the odd humor thrown in too.

Enjoy the forums
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Everybody, I finally decided to completely switch my PC's at home to use Ubuntu. I have been using Ubuntu on and off for the past 5 years on different computers. I figured now that I've made the switch I should sign up for the forums that way I get help from the experts if/when (most likely when) I need help. I live in wester Michigan of the United States. I work as a software engineer for an aerospace company.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pariah819 View Post
    Hello Everybody, I finally decided to completely switch my PC's at home to use Ubuntu. I have been using Ubuntu on and off for the past 5 years on different computers. I figured now that I've made the switch I should sign up for the forums that way I get help from the experts if/when (most likely when) I need help. I live in wester Michigan of the United States. I work as a software engineer for an aerospace company.

Hi and welcome to the Ubuntu community.

Lots of dedicated volunteers here keen to help where we can, but are all volunteers so answer when and where we can

We are who we are because of who we all are

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What happened to your avatar forestpiskie ?
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snip3r8 View Post
    What happened to your avatar forestpiskie ?
    Staff Emeritus and sadly left the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sux when a member you know leaves,know why he left?
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snip3r8 View Post
    Sux when a member you know leaves,know why he left?

His final post

Beans

Hello everyone

Dannie, 19, UK.
    360 gamer, Yu-Gi-Oh! player, hair dye enthusiast and young mom.
    All my female friends think I'm a nerd. I think they wear too much pink.

Been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half now, thanks to my partner. I was a bit dubious at first but now I feel a little educated in the ways of Ubuntu. Still have to run for help occasionally though!

Page 90 of 389 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast