Page 5 of 389 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hello everyone.
    I'm new here, but I've been using using Ubuntu for 3 years, and other linux distros for about 5 years (started with freespire). I have also been programming for about 6 years (but never done anything OS yet ). My programming has taken me all over the place from low level 8086 asm to high level web dev. Hopefully I'll be helpful here, and also find some help. By the way, I am a pretty busy student, so I'm probably not going to be here often.

Beans

Hi i am new here i like to join your group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello Ubuntu folk!

I'm Richard, a cross-platform developer in Los Angeles who's been using Ubuntu for about a year and I love it. I haven't had this much fun with an OS since the early days of the Mac, and the community feels a lot like the excitement of those early Mac days too.

I have a question: which is the best section of these forums to discuss ideas about evangelizing Ubuntu among developers?

With Apple's recent moves against cross-platform developers (see the news about iPhone OS SDK 4.0) and Windows being what it is, it would seem a very ripe time to be able to get the attention of developers looking to support new platforms. Ubuntu's usability seems to have it poised near the brink of a tipping point, and I'd like to believe that with enough new developers on board we could see it reach critical mass in consumer markets.

How can we make that happen?

Is this a good place for such a discussion, or should I post this in another section?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.

Despite joining the forums several years ago I've never really got on with ubuntu.
    Until now... lucid lynx is pretty good. Enjoying it thus far. Feels much more polished than previous releases - I may just keep this one for a while.
    Expect many silly questions and my grateful "Duh! I shoulda known that!" replies.

Hello,

I've been a member of these boards for nearly 2 years now (I was a lurker for far too long ) .

I boot various distributions including Fedora, Ubuntu, Crunchbang and Arch. I guess I like to learn how things work and see how they compare against one another.

My activities within the community are listed here

-Silver Fox

Beans

I m Eloise Joseph new to this forum I hope I will enjoy my presence here and also all of u would like my ideas which I want to share.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I'm Siobhan and I've been lurking around here since I downloaded Karmic Koala in October (and I've just upgraded to Lucid Lynx). I finally joined to interact, though any problems I've come across have had the answers here so there's been no need for me to say anything.

Might I say you guys seem really awesome here?

Beans

hi there,my name is Anna. im new here. hope to meet people with sense here. thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello fellow Ubuntuers,

I bought my first PC in 1998 (Windows 95) to research a medical problem at home. Until then I had been a regular user of the local public library's UNIX system.

Since 2006 I've been duel booting either Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint on both my desktop and my laptop. Up till now Linux has been mostly a plaything, something to experiment with, while using XP for most ordinary computer tasks, like email, web browsing, bill paying, etc.

I set grub to boot directly into Ubuntu after installing Lucid beta2 in early April. As soon as I decide on replacements for Windows-based MediaMonkey, Microsoft Money, and Google Picasa, I'll be shrinking my XP partion and do a clean install of Lucid.

So, soon it'll be goodbye forever to Avast antivirus, Malwarebytes, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware. Life without Windows should be a lot simpler.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey everyone! I'm a somewhat-new Ubuntu user, I've been using it off and on as the OS for my laptop for a couple of years now, and I'm just now settling for good on Ubuntu 10.04. Almost everything works for me within a day, including Flash which is a big win for me.

I really got into computers starting around college, through some friends and a lingering interest I've always had. With the help of a roommate, I ended up building my own computer about halfway through college, and that turned me into the all-around tech support guy for friends, family, and co-workers. And that indirectly led me to being a technical support agent for a big box retailer, over the phone support for computers, TV, home theater, and other consumer electronics.

I'm going to try and dedicate some time and effort into the forums, I'm a huge fan and friend of the open source philosophy so I figure I should do more to try and support that community and get more involved in general. Although I'm more attuned to using a Windows OS, I've been a strong advocate for programs like OpenOffice.org, GIMP, and other open source software. I've tried a couple of distros before settling on using Ubuntu, including Linux Mint, Puppy Linux, and a couple of LiveCD tries.

Lookin' forward to being a great help of support and fun to the forums!

Page 5 of 389 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast