Page 40 of 298 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

sstacy is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

I found this place interesting so I signed up. This forum is a great opportunity to interact and share ideas with other members. Learning is what I like most when I am joining the forum.

Beans

Greetings and Salutations, one and all. I am now a Xubuntu user by default. And to be honest I am mildly surprised that it can do just about everything that my old operating OS can do. I purchased this old laptop at a flea market a couple of months ago. Yes, I know that it wasn't the smartest move to make; buying a used laptop from a total stranger. But it was in perfect working order, of course the $100 I layed out for it probably was a bit much. It only had 256Mbs of RAM and a 1.4Ghz CPU. It was the bourbon I had before I walked into that place that whispered in my ear to go ahead and buy it. There was the added expense of $15 to buy another 256Mbs of RAM. It is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA63.

Anyways, it had XP installed, and in the spirit of keeping it up to date I went through the whole process of installing SP 1 to SP 3. Not too bright. After SP 3, and IE8, this thing slowed to a crawl. But with Xubuntu I can say that I am happy with it now. So much faster.

I am new to computers, I bought my first one only a year or so ago. That one is an eMachine ET1161-07, with Vista. When Vista goes obsolete I don't think I'll update it with whatever MS is offering. I'll use Linux. Maybe a 64bit version. It can handle it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingbilly View Post
    Search the forums for installing LXDE or XFCE. You can simply restart your computer and have the *lightweight* interface you need, without doing another OS install.
    Cheers, will take a look. I like the sound of "simply restarting". I may also have a look into the depths of the PC to try and figure out whether buying some more RAM is feasible and cost-effective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What UP All!

Can't join a community and not having the grace to introduce yourself hey, and yes i do realize my joining date and the date of this post are not the same (very busy, Linux and all its awesome little nooks and crannies are quite distracting). Anyways, I've been at Ubuntu/Linux/Open Source for the better part of the year, started around April, haven't looked back since. Awesome OS, awesome software, awesome communities (their fair share of trolls included), looking forward to earning the "Five Cups of Ubuntu" or whatever it is ...
    actually would be happy with just "Spilled beans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey there, Alpha101 here.

Based in /.basement, I make my days go by with work in the Windows field (Wait wait before you mob me! I do it due to college studies )
    I recently said "Screw windows" on my home PC and threw in Ubuntu, all due to the bloody bloat ware and horrendous customization and control over my own desktop; I decided I wanted a bit of freedom.
    I've been trained in many different certifications, but never really got the certifications because, honestly...I don't quite know why!
    These are my first steps into Ubuntu, and the Linux environment; I spent about a week on it before I joined here, to not seem...-too-...green, but heck; we all know.

Hobbies:
    Dungeons and Dragons (It's a dirty little secret I love to play )
    Linux coding, or at least the basics of terminal..(I'm still not quite..used to it)
    Eating
    Music (oh how much I have! I love the stuff!)
    Trying to NOT electrocute myself while still playing with electricity. (Lick those 9v's, you know you want to)
    Computer building.
    usr/bin/geek/deliciousstuff/.ramennoodles

Training:
    A+
    Net+
    C# (only a little, just like my Spanish!)
    ITIL
    Service Desk

Aspirations:
    To become a certified ethical hacker
    To learn Linux inside and out enough to make my own.
    To connect with the fellow Ubuntu-ians(?) of the world!

Feel free to say Hello, or introduce yourself!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha101 View Post
    Hey there, Alpha101 here.

Based in /.basement, I make my days go by with work in the Windows field (Wait wait before you mob me! I do it due to college studies )

Hobbies:
    [SIZE=1]Dungeons and Dragons (It's a dirty little secret I love to play )
    Don't worry about it. I work with Windows because it makes me money, and I play (Tabletop) DnD when we're all able to get together (actually Pathfinder).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Don't worry about it. I work with Windows because it makes me money, and I play (Tabletop) DnD when we're all able to get together (actually Pathfinder).
    Pen and paper DnD here too, custom race known simply as "Rags", a cloth construct of a spirit inhabiting his own mummification wraps after his body degraded too far to be used, from the age of Pandora and Chaos.
    He's a Pandora "religious zealot" whom is chaotic evil/neutral(when possible in games).
    Based on WILL and CON for his main skilltrees, hes able to change shape based on his WILL.
    It's a cool little design I made after seeing, and this is where I get embarrassed, the "Ben 10" mummy...I was flipping through channels and said "I'm making that".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi. my name is Mike, and I finally made the jump. I've been around for awhile, but not active in the forum. It won't be completely 'cold turkey', but I give up on Windows, yeah!
    I like the privacy that Ubuntu offers, and the fact that I have some control over the programs that run on my computer.
    I will still help other people restore and use their Windows, but my operating system is now Ubuntu.
    I went sky-diving a couple of years ago, and it is more than a rush, it's empowering!
    If there is a way that I can help the community, I will be here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi everyone

I'm Richard & have had Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx installed on an old computer with x2 dodgy hard drives (& x2 flaky win XP installs) for x2 weeks now. So am a Linux/Ubuntu newbie.

I'm enjoying the ride with Ubuntu so far (not sure how long my comp hard drive is going to last but time will tell). I'm trying to learn all this linux stuff-chmod/ chown/configure/make/make install etc etc.
    Very strange but interesting to an old PC MSWindows user like myself.

I have an amateur/hobby interest in most programming languages (esp python ruby perl java C C++ C#)and interest in website technology/design (PHP MySQl etc) especially WordPress websites. I had fun installing Xampp then finding Ubuntu already has a LAMPP stack and so uninstalling/removing Xampp!

I still cannot get ClamTk to recognise clamav latest version (but no great problem-I hope!) and I am currently looking at GUI programming with Gambas.
    I also want to edit my profile catchphrase/tagline here 'Ubuntu-Uwhatu!' but don't know how.

Anyway I hope to get to know some people here and find answers and post answers if I can help! Open source sharing is the way forward! I hope this forum is a bit better than launchpad answers where I have posted but have had little response (nevermind).
    Best wishes

Sun Nov28 UPDATE
    The 'old' comp crashed over a week ago but I reinstalled Ubuntu10.04 LTS LucidLynx on my son's old Vista desktop which now can dual boot with Vista. I setup Gambas (compiled from source-then saw there was a package in synaptics/software centre for it!) and compiled cwchessboard widget (a longterm goal for me acheived!). Now I am trying to install MSOffice in Wine or PlayonLinux(just a wine python gui ?!) but it will not install!!!
    On I go with Ubuntu....

Tue 28 Dec 2010 UPDATE
    I had to install Wine 1.2 to allow MSOffice to install in the end. A week ago I then got an error message saying low disk space & I used a WUBI script to add more space but it didn't complete fully! Nonetheless I did increase the size of my home folder and after reinstalling some programsI am back on the UBuntu trail! I have still been looking at graphics programming in Ubuntu from FreeBasic to Gtk+ to SDL, Allegro, conio.h graphics.h etc etc-a lot to it! I would like to buddy up with any other new Ubuntu users & novice programmers-anyone interested? (leave a message)

Sat Jan 29 UPDATE
    A few weeks ago I ran out of disk space & used a Wubi script to increase home folder space. This sort of worked?! (It didn't run totally smoothly but I did get space increase!)Then a week ago my Wubi install crashed & I did not know how to recover it & so reinstalled Wubi-I lost all my data! I decide to reinstall & reenter data & do a BACKUP! I could not backup File System. Then 2 days later I ran update manager to update 218 packages & it crashed again and I uninstalled it from Vista! I am now looking at installing MMeerkat 10.10 from USB stick again to dual boot with Vista. The advice seems to be this should be better than a Wubi install. This is not so simples though as at the allocate drive space section there is no option I can see to create a new partition only to delete existing partitions! Somehow I suppose I need to create a new partition in Vista big enough for Ubuntu10.10 and install it to there. I cannot find much information on this to help. I press on & hope I can install a stable Ubuntu 10.10.....

Sat 26 Feb 2011

It is over! I am finished with Ubuntu as a few days ago it would not restart. I've had all sorts of error messages from it during the many crashes with Ubuntu (the latest:BusyBoxv13.3.....initramfs)_) I have suffered.
    Well I have had enough-I could not get it to restart & I was facing another reinstall (& I couldn't face another one) so I decided to try another Linux distro & I have installed Fedora.
    I did try to install Ubuntu10.10 via USB but it wouldn't install & I had no help despite reporting it as a bug which had been experienced by another user (via Launchpad).

I might try Ubuntu again in a few years time & hope it has been made more stable by then. I have been using Fedora for only a few days but no problems so far (only x1 crash & restart with no problems-so much smoother than Ubuntu).

So bye bye Ubuntu-hello Fedora.....

--------------------------------------
    Ubuntu-Uwhatu
    Last edited by richardpd; February 26th, 2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi everyone
    I started using Ubuntu last year when our crack IT department started throwing away a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX280 computers. thought there people that could us them. they took the Ram and Hard-drives out and i replaced them with what ever i had laying around and needed a OS so i tried Ubuntu and fell in love. Been using the forum for over a year and just decided to join. Haven't had any problems and I've made 7 systems so far.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on either on line training thats free most of the people that i give the computers too can barely afford internet service.
    Last edited by Win-Smash; November 15th, 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Page 40 of 298 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast