Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Quote Originally Posted by paul207 View Post
    Glad to be here.
    Glad to have you and welcome to you and all newcomers. Enjoy!

Beans

17 year old dipping my toes into Ubuntu; I have used Debian three years now and distro-hopped all over the place, but I haven't really given any serious attention to the most widely used distro out there Unity is exciting and new, easily configurable with the help of the Tweak Tool, and classy in it's own way I doubt I will be posting much, as I am still 100% noob and pretty much everything that can be asked already has been, but I'll keep my eyes open for areas in which I can interact. See you around!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome to the forums Jaroslav_Pelikan
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

hello all,
    don't havr alot of time for the computer and have tried several times to move into Linux and always seem to go back to other just because it works and i don't have to learn a whole new language to do my banking. But I keep trying. Would like to completely leave OTHER behind. Yep I'm a noob.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there! My name Idjit BoB is a trail name. I got it while on the Appalachian Trail (AT). With some of the stupid stuff I have done like sneaking up on a black bear to get a better photograph... well let's just say the name suits me. The AT is the granddaddy of trails, or so they say. In case you're wondering, no I didn't thru-hike. When I was doing serious hiking I mostly hiked sections of the AT. I live in Pennsylvania Amish Country so there are too many good trails in my area of the world to limit oneself to the AT. Glacier National Park is not necessarily in my back yard, but has been a special place for my hikes.

I am retired from Sunoco Chemicals and worked in the refinery for the past 20 some years in Marcus Hook, PA. I only mention it to let you know that I am not a software, network or OS oriented person.

Now that I have some spare time on my hands I been tooling around with some old laptops which just aren't worth a darn any more... at least that is what I thought. Then someone in a forum at Computer Hope mentioned a Linux OS by the name of Zorin which is an Ubuntu & Debian based OS. The laptops now run as if they were new, and I was happy to see how much more stable they have been than with that other OS. We won't mention Microsoft.

Welcome to the world of Linux. Thank you.

As a side note, my mom worked for Bell Labs in Holmdel, NJ in the typist pool. It was the late 60s and she would come home from work and talk about her day. More than a few times she mentioned how she was working on a manual for an engineer on some sort of system called UNIX. From what I understand - and believe me it ain't much - this is where UNIX began. I don't know much more than that.

Bell Labs was pretty interesting place that did a lot of basic research. In my senior year of high school I worked the summer as a general maintenance person there. I became friends with an Oxford grad from England. He drove on the wrong side of the road. Anyway, he was working on Fiber Optics. He explained to me that if they could figure out how to transmit data through this ceramic cable that it would revolutionize communications beyond anything as we have seen before. That was 1969.

Then there was this engineer who worked at Bell Labs on Telegraph Hill just up the road a piece. Telegraph Hill is where they built the first Telestar communications satellite. He dragged me into a thing called a horn to explain how he was confirming the big bang by listening to the echo on the edges of the universe. He was very excited. All I know is I got into trouble for not finishing the lawn cutting job I was tasked with for that day.

Back to UNIX. I used to have the third edition of UNIX laying around somewhere, but I regifted it to a Finnish friend who insisted that Linux was a Finnish invention. She also claims baseball was invented by the Finn's so I'm a little skeptical of her as an authority on Linux.

Anyway, I don't backpack anymore, but I still day hike. My health (all small stuff) won't let me take a serious hike. Rats!

My interests are varied though... along with hoping to learn more about Linux I enjoy photography and my grandkids... and of course those day hikes.

Sorry I was so long winded. Thanks for listening.

Best Regards
    Idjit
    Amish Country-PA, USA

Beans

Hi everyone. In my 60's and semi retired. Someone gave me a laptop three months ago with Ubuntu on it. Seeing as my pre-intel chip mac mini was kinda slow and losing support in areas i decided to hang around ubuntu , maybe not have to pop for another Mac. Am a total beginner at it but am relaxing into it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As I noticed it was 3 days since a forums member had responded to the last 3 posts, I thought that I would jump in and welcome each of you on behalf of all in the forums.

vaago - I see that you have been around for quite a period of time - hang in there as Ubuntu will prove it's worth eventually!

Idjit - Yours is a very interesting story, you will find there are many grandfathers amongst us here...

bill83 - Yet another older member of the forums - good to see that you are settling into Ubuntu.

Finally welcome once again to each of you and may your stay with us be long and fruitful.

Regards -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Thanks for the welcome BKC.

Beans

Welcome everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi all,

Not so much a 'nice to meet you' as it is a homecoming!

After a year unable to use the forums due to the terms of an employment contract, I'm back!

Looking forward to seeing you all around in the forums!

DJ
    Love Ubuntu? If you feel like donating to future development, and suggest how that donation is used by the community, it's all here!

Page 290 of 389 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340 ... LastLast