Hidden!

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Welcome all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi gang -

I just joined the forums recently and figured I'd introduce myself. An old Dilbert cartoon from the summer of '95 pretty much sums me up, sans the beard and suspenders:

I've been a happy UNIX user since '91, and a Linux user since around '92 or '93. I spent a lot of time and effort while at college working with Linux to make it usable on the desktop. That includes doing a lot of X11 customization and configuration, scouring the 'net (before web browsers were really in use) looking for useful software to run, and even "yelling" at the folks at WordPerfect to get a SCO UNIX version released so I could use a real word processor on my desktop.

(Remember the days when Linux could run static SCO binaries? Does anyone even remember SCO UNIX?)

My primary field is that of network engineering and architecture. But I'm ultimately a UNIX geek at heart. At some point in my professional career, I got tired of pushing Linux to perform properly on the desktop and just switched to Macs for that role. Apple moving to Intel made that migration much easier for me. I can run all of my useful business-related applications natively without any emulation, and still have UNIX under the covers. It's perfect.

But, I still actively use Linux in a server role. For the last several years, I've been primarily using CentOS at home, because the places I've worked at all use RHEL in production. It seemed like a good idea to have some similarities between the two environments, and I actually dig the way RHEL/CentOS configures and lays things out.

So why Ubuntu? Stay with me... I have a self-built server in my basement that was running VMWare's ESXI. It's there that I ran all of my in-house VMs. But managing VMWare is such a pain in the butt; that Windows-based .NET application is a steaming pile of... Historically, the other choices of hypervisors haven't been up to the task, which is why I went ESXI. But, the others have matured finally! By coincidence, I just picked up a new Mac Pro for use in video and picture editing. My old Mac Pro: a 2 x 3.46GHz 6-core (12 total) Xeon monster with 48G of RAM would make a perfect hypervisor. The problem? RHEL/CentOS don't support grub2 yet, and I'd need that to support the Mac's EFI.

Ubuntu to the rescue. As it turns out, it installs and boots on the Mac Pro with no issues whatsoever. Over the past weekend, I migrated all of my ESXI VMs over to it, converted them to KVM images, and they're up and running. The old ESXI server? It's been nuked from orbit, had Ubuntu installed on it, and is also running a KVM hypervisor.

I don't care to learn about Ubuntu while driving my hypervisor though. So I've spun up another VM running it so that I can 'speriment with it. So far, so good!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Greetings my fleshy anthropomorphic human beings. Or robots, for you Google and other search engine crawlers.

My name is poet1. Some call me Dan. You can call me either. Nice to meet you, 'n stuff.

Now for something sortof different, but kind of related:

I have been a computer user since the early 90's. Make a long story short, I grew up with computers in the house.

I have toyed with Ubuntu off-and-on ever since 6.xx releases. Back in 2006, a school friend handed me the drug known as Ubuntu 6.xx, and ever since then I've been hooked. I have drifted from Ubuntu to others over the years. I have tried Fedora, Solaris, straight-up Debian, Mint. But, I come back to Ubuntu whenever I veer off. It's got kind, happy people working for it, who are more than willing to dish out their experience and help. I like the community. Thanks, again, for being helpful, y'all.

(And, despite the fact that my profile info says I'm running 8.xx, I'm not. I've been a member here for a number of years. The Big Kahunas at Ubuntu Forums decided to require 10 posts before you can adjust your profile a little while ago.)

I currently run Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 LTS. I switched from Unity because I like Gnome. That's it, really. No big reason for the switch from Unity to Gnome. No harsh feelings, or banana peels in the path of Unity developers.

I may seek out the Documents Team for joining soon. I am a good writer and writing is my passion.

OK, thanks for reading. Happy posting, and see you around!

poet1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings to all the Ubuntu world.

You can call me Glen, I'm no computer expert but I like to be in touch with whats happening around me and right now its all about Ubuntu so.. :3

Umm that should do it, but feel free to drop by my profile if you want to know more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello all, I thought I'd drop by and post an introduction.

I'm a long term Linux user who first dipped my toes in the water in the late 1990s and who hasn't had a Windows based system at home for more than a decade. Unfortunately I still have to use it at work but the ending of XP support has given me another chance to pitch the use of Linux. This time they're listening as installing Linux on our 15 computers will cost a lot less than buying 15 Windows 8 computers. My boss is currently looking at Ubuntu, SolydX and openSUSE before deciding.

On a personal note, I have installed pretty much every release of Ubuntu on a spare computer and at the risk of being branded trollish found them all to be pretty underwhelming. I have played with what feels like hundreds of distros but stuck with Debian on my serious rigs. 14.04 however has made it on to my main computers and I've been using it every day. It's faster and lighter than the previous versions and it hasn't had any crashes in the week or so it's been installed. I can't say with 100% accuracy that it is as good as I think or whether it's the new anti-depressant / painkiller combination my doctor has me on but I do like it

In case you are wondering where Sir_Ismicoo comes from, well, I was registering and I saw the captcha and thought "Holy crap! I've just been given a new on-line identity!"

Beans

Hello Gang. relatively new to Ubuntu. However i am liking what I am seeing.

The Name is Michael. I am now a grandfather and liking life! Having fun with my hobbies and just coasting along now

Beans

Hi guys.... One of my friend introduced me to this cool OS. I live Indonesia and just dip my toes for using ubuntu 14.04 alongside with my Windows7 , I'm new to Linux and wish to get some help and some friends here.

Beans

Hey all.

Making a return to the linux world after a long hiatus. Previously known (or not...) as Gorgoth. Decided I'd ditch the closed-source world for something a little more customizable.

Decided I'd run strictly linux - xubuntu - on my machine from here on out. o/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello and welcome everyone !
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi all !

I am a total newbie here. The last time I touched something that resembled Linux was 25 years ago. I used to work on VAX (VMS), Convex and AIX mainframes, scripting llike mad, and programming in F77 dabbing in C, and enjoying myself most of the time. I owned VI then ! (Never cared much for Emacs).

Clouds did not exist then; the sky was always blue ! Everything was blissfully command line and if you wanted to print ps from a console you had o write your own filter yourself sp the printer could interpret your ps file dump. C++ was juuust about to come out and C programmers were considered exotic. 95% of people on the earth had no clue about what email or an IP address was. Go figure. Things have changed a bit now... you'd say.
    So here I am. Migrating away from XP after suffering years of abuse at the hands of MS.
    I chose Ubuntu desktop augmented with Apache, Joomla and mySql, first installed on a 5 year old HP workstation laptop.
    because it seems well supported by an active community
    it is stable and reasonably mainstream
    it is easy to install
    not for its GUI, which I positively dislike. Fact is the first thing I want to do is change it to something less clunky-looking.

Naturally, I have a couple of questions already. Will ask them in the Cafe next door.

Cheers and thanks for the welcome.

Page 256 of 389 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast