Page 255 of 389 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi All,

This is Ahmad from Kuwait! - I've been an ubuntu user on the previous 2010 version, now I'm looking forward to 17th April 2014 to get the 14.04 LTS version of Ubuntu!

my plan is to sort out the installation on my MacbookAir4,1 model where I am expecting to get involved alot on the forum and to share my experience on the hurdles that Mac have on its notebooks which is typical!

thats it for now!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad_Aleid View Post
    Hi All,

This is Ahmad from Kuwait! - I've been an ubuntu user on the previous 2010 version, now I'm looking forward to 17th April 2014 to get the 14.04 LTS version of Ubuntu!

my plan is to sort out the installation on my MacbookAir4,1 model where I am expecting to get involved alot on the forum and to share my experience on the hurdles that Mac have on its notebooks which is typical!

thats it for now!
    Hi Ahmad,

A big welcome to you on behalf of all in the forums - may your time with us be long and productive!

Your experience and any solutions you post regarding Macbooks I am sure will be appreciated by many of your fellow users.

Whatever you do, don't forget to have fun!

Cheers and best wishes -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Hello folks - I've just come back to Linux after many years away. I tried Mandrake for sometime about 7 years ago and then for reasons irrelivant to hear I had time away.
    After suffering with windows 8 for sometime I thought it was time to reappraise myself with Linux, and chose Ubuntu becuase I had heard of it all those years ago and herd reports it was one of the best and with a very good user community.

Im afraid Im not a serious coder these days - but if I settle in ok I may be able to help with documentation or something like that.

It the meantime, many many thanks to the army of volunteers, be they coders, or supporters who have made linux go from strength to strength.
    Mal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mal_Hill View Post
    Hello folks - I've just come back to Linux after many years away. I tried Mandrake for sometime about 7 years ago and then for reasons irrelivant to hear I had time away.
    After suffering with windows 8 for sometime I thought it was time to reappraise myself with Linux, and chose Ubuntu becuase I had heard of it all those years ago and herd reports it was one of the best and with a very good user community.

Im afraid Im not a serious coder these days - but if I settle in ok I may be able to help with documentation or something like that.

It the meantime, many many thanks to the army of volunteers, be they coders, or supporters who have made linux go from strength to strength.
    Mal
    Hi Mal - Welcome back!

Hopefully soon you will feel like that you have never been away - jump in to help if you wish whenever your feel able - help is always appreciated.

I trust that you will stick with Ubuntu for many years,

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

So, I decided about 9 months ago that I should get comfortable with a linux command line in order to get better at my job (web dev on a SAAS platform), so I began exploring, loaded Linux Mint into a VM on my Windows PC, and started completing all of the online tutorials I could find. After a while, I decided I was comfortable enough to dual boot my laptop with a Linux distro and began exploring again. I tested every desktop environment I could find (including every official Ubuntu derivative I could read). I settled on standard Ubuntu w/ Unity because it fits my work processes to a T. So then I had Ubuntu on my laptop that went everywhere with me, including to work. Then I wiped the hard drive on my work machine and now, Ubuntu is the only OS on that computer.

Keep in mind that at this point, less than 9 months had passed since I began my effort to get into and learn Linux. During that time, I have become quite familiar with this forum, though I've always been able to find the answers to my questions from the answers already provided on a thread somewhere, so this is in fact my first post here.

Here's the thing that made me feel like I needed to get registered and post this:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is being released tomorrow, and I find myself staying up later than normal, constantly searching for any new tidbit of information related to the release that I can find. While sitting here with the minor heart palpitations I'm experiencing, I realized that I haven't been this excited about anything to do with a computer since about half-way through college. This is the true power of what I believe Ubuntu is, and I am so excited to be a part of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome everyone
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Hello everyone, Nick here I am a java programmer and I have been using ubuntu for about 6 months now.

Beans

introducing.. i so hoped this'd be a purely technical forum instead of such a social one either

i started with Lubuntu 13.10 on my "little dell" (netbook, 1×1,6ghz & 1gb) a week before win'xp support stopped, tried Lubuntu 14.04 beta which pretty much took the **** out of me, then aksed Xubuntu 13.10 for help and almost instantly loved it. it is now running on my "big dell" either (2×3,4ghz, 4gb) and on a friends dusty and untouched thinkpad t60 i offered to check and/or set up for her (old machines, all of them). all three Xubuntus have now successfully graduated to 14.04 and i am here in case i loose patience with things that don't work the way i think they should =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello ubuntuland! I've been running some sort of *nix since '96, from Redhat, Mandrake, FreeBSD, to Slack. I've been on a four year hiatus, just lazy and getting older I guess, however the "heartbleed vulnerability" took down my server on an old XP machine so I decided to give ubuntu 14.04 a try. What a surprise, didn't have to fight my way through countless source compiles just to get the basic apps and os running reasonably well and talk about hardware resource friendly...wonderful!
    Thanks for setting up this forum and I look forward to enjoying ubuntu.
    Last edited by suprleg; April 23rd, 2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: sp.gr.

Beans

Greetings, Ubutu folks,

How nice to find resources like this to help grease the skids for us newcomers!

I was led to Ubutu (mythbuntu specifically) by my search for subscription-free recording options. I'm a long-time Tivo user, but I have increasingly come to think that I am not getting as much value from the service as the fees I'm continually paying. To make matters worse, I discontinued service on two of my three Tivo boxes, and found that with the newest one (a Tivo Premier), the box is rendered completely useless without the service; can't even change channels, much less record or play anything. I think Tivo should be ashamed for that, and they have left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

I have some past experience with SLES, but not with Ubuntu yet, in fact I haven't yet installed Ubuntu, because I was hoping to find out if I'm on the right track to find a Tivo replacement before spending too much time to discover the answer on my own.

I'm expecting to move to a new home in a completely different area than my current place of residence, so I will be free to choose what sort of TV source works best, whereas I'm currently rather tied to cable. I'm interested to learn what might be considered the most popular recording source for what I'm trying to achieve, including those that offer premium channels that require some decrypting/decoding, and what are some good options for tuners that can do that sort of thing, making the recorded material available for viewing via a LAN in at least two different rooms.

I tried searching the mythbuntu forum for the keyword 'recommendation', and browsing the results, but that approach didn't easily produce the sort of information I'm hoping to find.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Page 255 of 389 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast