Page 252 of 389 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New to forum

Welcome, Sam.
    I am new here too. Hope I can learn more about linux knowledge from you.
    Last edited by james114; March 26th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
    OS: Ubuntu 12.04 / Specification: Xeon 3210 with 8 GB DDR333
    My Bible Project (PHP)

Beans

Re: New to forum

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I can tell you, the forums are a great place for learning and keeping your brain in shape

Have a nice day!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Threads merged.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Admins/mods: Introduction?

Hi,

is it required / recommended / ... to introduce oneself here?
    Where would be the right place?

-S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is the place.

Threads merged.

Welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Admins/mods: Introduction?

Quote Originally Posted by sgofferj View Post
    Hi,

is it required / recommended / ... to introduce oneself here?
    Where would be the right place?

-S
    It's not required. It is recommended to do so - so you can join the community that feels like family =D.

Welcome to the forums =D!
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hah, thx. That forum font size is a bit compact for my old eyes .

Ok... let's go then.

Hi, I am Stefan and I have - ehm - Ubuntu . I guess you can say, I'm kinda Linux veteran. I started tinkering with Slackware in 1996. After some break because I couldn't get anything to run, my ego got the better of me and I started again with SuSE 5.1 in October 1997. Since 1999, Linux is on my desktop and since 2000, it's pretty much my exclusive desktop system. Until now, I have been using SuSE / Opensuse all the way. I'm (among others) SuSE Certified Linux Trainer and have been leading a Linux training center for a couple of years about 10 years ago. Later I specialized on networking and security and (in my job, at least) strayed a bit from the path towards Cisco and Check Point. I even have a Microsoft Certified Professional cert somewhere in my lowest drawer - but only because my boss forced me to do this . I'm also pretty active with IP communications, and running - again among others - an Asterisk PBX at home since 2002.
    I'm still very focused, means I'm pretty good in "my" stuff but e.g. don't have much more than user-level knowledge of black magic stuff like systemd, let alone hardware... I also have only basic coding skills (besides the usual bash and Perl stuff, of course).
    Over the last few releases, I got more and more annoyed with Opensuse. Mainly details, but you know how it is... many drops make an ocean - or something like that.
    Anyways, some guy who I really respect told me to have a look at Ubuntu and as recently my trusty old Cisco PIX at home burned out and I quickly needed a firewall, I installed Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS in a VM and that's now my firewall. So far, I'm happy but - boy - do you guys have different philosophies in some areas... It's like learning the basics all over again...
    But I have "big plans". My home server is a system that has "grown organically", means there's a ton of services with the configs taken over release after release - some configs are 10+ years old from the very beginning of my home-server times... There's some major remodeling to do be done and I'm thinking, Ubuntu server as host system and them stuffing the services into different vboxes.

What else...? Right... I'm a bit of a privacy buff and I REALLY dislike Google, first and foremost because of their "don't be evil"-BS while they are the single most evil entity in the universe with all their spying on users and even non-users. Besides that, I'm ex-military and prefer communicating in "direct" language, means I say/write what I think - not more and not less. Admittedly, my language *can* sometimes be a bit "colorful" .

Well, so far for that... Let's see what's going on here... Generally I do prefer mailing lists (and I am subscribed to ubuntu-users) but nowadays, everything must be nice and colorful and AJAX and BS, so mailing lists usually are rather sparsely frequented and one has better chances to find or get infos in a web forum. But hey - I'm not all against GUIs! I love GUIs! See my working place:

GUIs are great...! You can open many console windows side by side!
    Last edited by sgofferj; March 29th, 2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk

Beans

hi zoofie here, new to the forum. i have derped with ubuntu and other debian and ubuntu derived distros for a while now. now that steam supports my favorite games on linux i have now decided to use it as a primary os. i look foward to learning here and maybe get to know some other people.

Beans

Hello everyone. I'm new here, been using linux in various flavours since the 90s and work using linux servers. Around 3 years ago I dropped my dual boot. I've only just come back to Ubuntu after running Linux Mint for a long while, I got a touchscreen laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zoofie2 View Post
    hi zoofie here, new to the forum. i have derped with ubuntu and other debian and ubuntu derived distros for a while now. now that steam supports my favorite games on linux i have now decided to use it as a primary os. i look foward to learning here and maybe get to know some other people.
    Hi zoofie2,

A big welcome to you on behalf of all in the forums - you're in the right place to meet new people and learning as much as you like.

May your stay with us be long and fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavyn_Long View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, been using linux in various flavours since the 90s and work using linux servers. Around 3 years ago I dropped my dual boot. I've only just come back to Ubuntu after running Linux Mint for a long while, I got a touchscreen laptop
    Hi to you too Gavyn,

I am glad to welcome you back to Ubuntu. Hopefully you too will be with us for a long time - any questions, just ask in the forums.

To both of you, remember to have fun!

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 252 of 389 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast