Page 196 of 389 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3886

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

I all!
    A Bit Too Spicy here... I've been a member for a few years but just starting to get more active with Ubuntu now. Currently running two 12.04 laptops and having lots of fun along the way.

Beans

Hey everyone,
    Love the ubuntu phylosophy. Dumped windows for my pc and jumped into ubuntu head on... still have a lot to learn...

Beans

Question The First Day....

Hello Ubuntu Community,

You all can call me Cmiller. I'm a young guy who loves computers, and open-source projects. I'm also a guy who grew tired of Micrsoft and their spiffy "ways" of business. So I have decided it was best I resign from using windows, and switch to Linux. After some researching I learned Ubuntu was one of the popular Linux distros alongside with Mint, and a few other varient, and Ubuntu was my choice. So just this night, I installed Ubuntu on my Windows OS. And I'd have to say its quite a challenge getting used to the UI alone. I am quite anxious about adjusting to this new OS, since I have never used it...ever. I've always grown up with Windows and it is all I'm used to. But I am very willing to learn and dive into Linux no matter how difficult it may be. So this thread serves as a breif introduction about myself and just a few questions:

Where is a good place to start? What should be the first thing I do on my long and adventerous journey of Linux? Are there any websites I can access that can teach me the fundamentals of Linux? Tutorials, Videos, Documenets...? Also, where is the Help files and documentation that comes with Linux? I've had some trouble looking.

I'm eager to learn and am ready to use Linux, I just need a few pointers and some noob advice so I can get more confident with using my new OS. And perhaps even one day become a Linux master and teach other new people what I know in the future.

Okay, well enough rambling for now. I could on and on, which there is no need. I hope I covered everything. If I didn't pleace don't hesitate to mention. Thanks everyone in advanced!

Sincerely,

Cmiller

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: The First Day....

One thing is for sure. You will probably end up doing quite a few installs before you know the ropes fully.
    Remember how you were when you for the first time sat in front of a windows PC? You really knew what to do
    Well consider yourself a noob again

But first... Welcome!

Pretty much all the software you need is freely available in the software centre. There are one or two exception (such as, if you want it, Chrome Browser has to downloaded manually)

Try this:
    Open a terminal and do

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Heh i am actually intrested in this thread too! my hatred for windows is much more recent than yours and it is simply why i predict many poeple like me will switch to this os. Windows 8. it has been the worst windows is release ever. i consider it to be worst than vista. in vista you were trading performance off for beauty. in win 8 however i fell like i am trading my soul for performance and quick start ups which i couldn't care about less.

i would also love to learn whatever there is about this system that there is to know. i have a brand new laptop called the lenovo y500 and i am ready to learn with it

Beans

Welcome to Ubuntu . Best to come with a feeling of tolerance for other operating systems, including windows, and enjoy the offerings spread out for you by the Linux world...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller2 View Post
    And I'd have to say its quite a challenge getting used to the UI alone.

if you are a GUI person used to windows menu you should have a look at Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE UI) you might feel more at home. right clicking on K and selecting classic will make it looks sort of like windowsXP

otherwise good resources to start are community made ubutnu manual (see my sig) and ubuntu help pages.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Merged into the 'welcome'-thread.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    right clicking on K and selecting classic will make it looks sort of like windowsXP
    What do you mean by that? Where is the "K." I've installed Ubuntu, haven't chosen the Kubuntu distro.

mahmedbawany said: i have a brand new laptop called the lenovo y500 and i am ready to learn with it
    That's awesome!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if you are a GUI person used to windows menu you should have a look at Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE UI) you might feel more at home. right clicking on K and selecting classic will make it looks sort of like windowsXP

otherwise good resources to start are community made ubutnu manual (see my sig) and ubuntu help pages.
    hey masta?
    nice to meet you, looks like you are from the Indonesia country..
    really?

Page 196 of 389 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast