Page 194 of 389 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 3886

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Hi bushkill,

A very big welcome to you,

I'm afraid you are right - your music is not quite my style - but don't let that put you off - there are hundreds of members here who are as young as you and will have similar tastes in music.

Have a good look around and get involved - we are one big happy family here.
    haha thank you! i shall keep making more and different music and i'll stick around on the forums, BlinkinCat!
    honestly i don't know why it took me so long to join up, stumbled here numerous times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi! I started using Ubuntu backseveral years ago, but got distracted by some Windows software I had to keep running.

Well I'm back, using Ubuntu 12.04LTS on that old desktop, and I just ordered a system76 Lemur Ultra. It's my first laptop and I'm really excited that it's by system76. However, I will probably have to install a virtual environment for WIN7. Ugh!

Just thought I'd jump in here to say hello!

Hello!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by akijam View Post
    hello everyone! I'm Stephen Djaja Newbie Here! I'm from Indonesia!
    I am hoping this forum would help me achieve my goals while I try help others achieve their goals.

Good Day
    Stephen Djaja
    Hi and Good Day to you Stephen,

You are exactly the sort of member we like seeing in the Forums - wanting to help others. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    Hi I am fairly new to Ubuntu having moved from ******* Vista a couple of months ago. Initially I didn't like Dash and so installed Cinnamon but have now gone back to the Unity interface and am very happy with it . If only I could find a driver that works for my Ricoh Aficio 2045 copier/printer! .

I also like the idea of being part of a 'community'.

Best

JonPaul
    Hi and a very big welcome JonPaul,

I am glad that you are enjoying Unity - Many have changed their minds and like it very much now!

Keep searching for that elusive driver.

Quote Originally Posted by packrat1 View Post
    Hi! I started using Ubuntu backseveral years ago, but got distracted by some Windows software I had to keep running.

Well I'm back, using Ubuntu 12.04LTS on that old desktop, and I just ordered a system76 Lemur Ultra. It's my first laptop and I'm really excited that it's by system76. However, I will probably have to install a virtual environment for WIN7. Ugh!

Just thought I'd jump in here to say hello!

Hello!!
    Hi packrat1,

A very big welcome to you too!

I must say that with the attitude of you three, you will fit into our community exceptionally well.

To each of you remember to enjoy yourself and have fun -

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Hi! New-ish ubuntu user here, using 12.04 since September '12. I got a new laptop this year (Asus) and have been having more issues with it then the older Dell I had last year. I joined the forums primarily to ask for support, but I'm also really interested in the open source community and the reasons people are choosing Linux over Mac or Windows. Even though I've been having some headaches with hardware, I love using and learning ubuntu and am excited to be part of the community!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Blinkin I am very happy to see another Aussie too!
    And a big Welcome! from across the ditch!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by arkark View Post
    Hi! New-ish ubuntu user here, using 12.04 since September '12. I got a new laptop this year (Asus) and have been having more issues with it then the older Dell I had last year. I joined the forums primarily to ask for support, but I'm also really interested in the open source community and the reasons people are choosing Linux over Mac or Windows. Even though I've been having some headaches with hardware, I love using and learning ubuntu and am excited to be part of the community!
    Hi and a very big welcome arkark from all in the Forums,

I am sorry to here you are having issues with your laptop but you're in the right place to get things sorted out!

It sounds as if you have cottoned on to what makes these forums great to be part of.

It is a real community here with thousands of friendly people helping each other.

Many get involved with the different subjects that pop up in the cafe - join in if you wish.

But as I have said to many - have fun!

Cheers -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; March 19th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    It is a real community here with hundreds of friendly people helping each other.
    Hundreds? Make that thousands:

Members
    Active Members

But most of them are friendly.

Beans

Hi all, complete newbie (for now) to the linux world. Built my first server under 12.04 server last month, and am pretty eager to learn plenty more !

Hope to see you all around.

Beans

My username is jimmy1369. I'm a ******* user since 1990. I been dabbling in Linux off and on since 1996 because ******* doesn't make me happy. Always was too dictatorial for my taste. Too vulnerable to hacks and malicious tinkering and (now) too obsessed with copyright protection and security issues (which it kinda sorta tries to deal with but can never really solve because their code base is furgled.).

Linux doesn't make me happy either. Starting in 1996 -- I never found a Linux flavor that was compatible with all my hardware. Caldera, Red Hat, Suze, Corel, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint , , , and now Ubuntu again. I have to say that 12.04 LTS comes closer to being 100 percent compatible than any distro I've ever tried. It works (sorta, mostly) with my Brother 4150 CDN laser printer and it works (sorta, mostly) with my HP flatbed scanner. It does NOT work with my Fujitsu sheetfed scanner but that's not an issue because I've still got a ******* machine I can hook it to. WordPerfect is what really kept me married to Microsoft from 1990 to date. Now Linux features this Open Office gizmo that does a passible job of word crunching (WordPerfect it still ain't and probably never will be.) and latest knock-offs (Libre Office) will open WordPerfect files, which permits access to my old documents (I'm a writer. Access to my old documents is a must.).

First time I tried Ubuntu it still had the Gnome UI, which was a Very Good Thing. Now 12.04 has this "Unity" interface, which is not yet a good thing. I don't understand why Ubuntu made the switch, but they seem determined to chug ahead with it, so I suppose I'd better learn to get along with what IS. Mint KDE is also loused up. The traditional KDE UI (awfully good) is being replaced by some new gizmo (I don't even remember what they call it (starts with an 'O' I think). I installed Mint and launched it using the traditional KDE UI. One day I booted up and found this O gizmo staring at me. "O!" said I: "What is this thing and what am I supposed to do with it?" I couldn't figure out how to get rid of "O," so it was back to ******* again.

Now I'm here with a problem. I tried to post it on the Miraculous Ubuntu Forum but it ended up in the wrong forum somehow. I couldn't even find it after I posted it. So I logged off thinking I'd be able to find it this morning. Sure enough: when I woke up and checked my email, I found a note from one of the Forum Fathers saying I had posted in the wrong place and he had taken the liberty of moving it to the RIGHT PLACE for me. He also advised me to come over here and introduce myself before I tried posting anything at all. Sorry, but there's been no help with my problem yet.

Anybody wants to talk to me can find me in the stocks with some other digital miscreants, out in front of Ubuntu headquarters. You can throw rotten tomatoes at me or try to advise me on my Ubuntu problem.

Thank you for your support.

jimmy1369
    Last edited by jimmy1369; March 19th, 2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: correct typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@ jimmy1369: To find your thread click 'Settings' at top right. Under 'Subscriptions' on your Settings page you will find 'My Threads'.

PS: Have you tried Xfce or Xubuntu? To test Xfce simply install xfce4, log out, select it from 'Sessions', log in.

And welcome to the forums, once again.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 19th, 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Page 194 of 389 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast