Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Welcome to the forum Mahnoor!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been a member of this forum for over a year now, but I've never really taken the time to get interactive. Well, that ends today.

Hello, my name is Matt, and I'm addicted to Ubuntu.
    I've been using this wonderful OS since version 6, using Linux/UNIX since 1995.

It's been a real pleasure watching Ubuntu evolve. I look forward to many more enjoyable years with my favorite distro.
    Last edited by darkcrimson; March 3rd, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Beans

Hye Every one

Hy guys,
    one of my friend told me about this forum that its a good place to learn and share knowledge.. hope to learn something from you guys and learn back a lot from you .. regards and good luck to all from my side

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Merged and Welcome

Beans

Hi, i'm typing from Portugal, it is been a very long way for me using computers... mainly as end-user, except in those old days in the University, writing Fortran programs in punch-card IBM mainframes, with 32Kbytes of quota
    Yes, i'm over 50....

I belong to this vast majority of users who had to deal with the MS idiossincrasies for so many years.
    Windows is popular, but its slow and it wastes a lot of our time. Someone said that the time for a reboot is the same as having a coffe (and I will add...with friends...)...

I began looking at the world of Linux some years ago, my first distro was PCLinuxOS, back in 2006, inside an 2001 PC with 384 MB RAM... it was lovely, seeing the old PC doing the same things faster then new Vista/HP desktop I bought to my son, back then...

Recently I dual-booted my HP i7 DV6 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. With the help of this forum, I managed to overcome the laptop brightness control and power consumption in less than 1 hour, just editing the grub and installing jupiter as so many threads recommend. It works in perfection.

It even runs some Windows (wine, playonlinux) games faster...!!!

Unfortunately, Linux is a slow revolution. Because of the need of computer literacy.
    Ubuntu is a good example, taking the good practices of cooperative development into work.
    And so many of you are the leaders of this revolution, in this forum.
    Helping others and growing yourselves, as human beings.
    And I will be voting for you, in this revolution.

Thank you guys. Thanks for the Forum.
    Hugs

Beans

Began using ubuntu in may of 2012, having only an emachines t2692 to work with I then switched to the lubuntu distro (was unbearbly slow on ubuntu and with little experience was not used to work arounds needed). Since then I have become more and more comfortable using term commands and other aspects of the ubuntu distros, the command line is more of a readjustment and one i rather enjoy as my first computer was a Kaypro II and grew up always upgrading our current model as far as we could before replacement. But the emachines is too slow, has much of the tower hardware missing, suffice to say my harddrive sits on top of an old piece from a dell on the able next to the computer, and it lacks SATA ports. Well, being the recyclers of used things my dad and I are, I picked up about 5 more pc's from him one being a seemingly dead hp compaq d530 sff with a pentium 4. Well finally got around to taking apart the windows vista compaq laptop i had, that a leaking van roof got wet and fried, pulled the SATA drive ran some diagnostics using the hp and got it to work. I must say I am impressed that this much newer OS runs so amazingly fast on what is basically a minimally modified office hp compaq that was made to run on xp. Not only that it is at least 10X faster than the emachines on lubuntu and 15X faster than that was on ubuntu. Not sure about some of the features or what seems to be a lack thereof, but after using lubuntu for a year, i am more than ready to use the core of the distros (being that lubuntu is a lightweight version at best of ubuntu it cannot handle some of the things i want) not too mention 250 gb sata beats a 40 gb ide any day.
    Always interested in chatting it up with new people to learn new things or help them through issues i have been through myself.

Beans

Hello, I'm puraki. I have been using Ubuntu since mid-2012, and Kubuntu since January/February 2013. I mostly have interest in Windows, but sometimes I run my virtual machine of Ubuntu/Kubuntu to use Linux.
    See you around!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hey Guys
    I`m Mustafa
    i`m an ubuntu user since about 14 month ago
    i use ubuntu to explore the internet, write program in c++, and all i need to do
    i do not use windows any longer (about 1 year)

ubuntu is my favorite distribution of GNU/Linux

Beans

Hello everyone. I'm just getting my feet wet with linux, but I do have a bit (a wee bit at that) of experience with unix. I'm here to learn as much as possible about linux, and see if the programming lessons I'm giving myself will be of any use here. See you all around.

Beans

Greetings to everyone here on ubuntuforums.

My name is Mark, I am from Birmingham England and am a brand new convert to Linux. I apologize for not introducing myself in the correct manner before I started posting, I went to the absolute beginners section as my logical first jumping off point and when I did not see anywhere to introduce myself I just assumed that everyone pitched in at the deep end with discussion in the relevant forum, and I even got one of those wrong Anyway... Hello Everyone!

The massive amount of help that I see freely given between members on these forums has absolutely amazed me, it gives the place a real positive feel and I look forward to becoming a participating member among you all in time to come as I feel that there is a welcome extended already. I have much to learn but am enjoying my early learning with Linux so am hopeful of being able to engage in at least some form of intelligible dialogue re Linux before very long.

Wishing you all well...
    Mark

Page 190 of 389 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast