Page 172 of 302 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 3012

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Howdy all

I've installed Xubuntu alongside my current OS, and have enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to seeing the differences between Ubuntu and Debian, and enjoying a full XFCE DE environment (complete with desktop icons and everything!).

Have a great day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi all My name is Kelvin (Big_Kiwi) I am running Ubuntu 11.10, but havig some troubles and I can't seem to be able to post any threads, I know this is a great way to find out info and there are some great people out there that can help, I look forward to your help

Beans

Hi everyone,
    I actually haven't even installed Ubuntu yet because I'm getting hardware and putting together a new PC from this weekend, but I look forward to finally running Linux and learning from this huge community--with a partitioned drive so I can still run Steam and certain games, of course..though hearing about the beta testing by Valve Linux is nearly a done deal.

I remember a good friend at uni fully switched in one instant to Suse Linux a few years ago, and at the time I thought he was crazy spending an entire day just to figure out how to play a music CD (to be fair, at that point most of the helpful documentation was still available only in German). But now I can understand the passion, although I think I am choosing a better distro.

Beans

Hello Ubuntu Forums,

I am here to learn about using Ubuntu. I have some experience with Red Hat, but it has been a few years so I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 and I've found some information on other sites about installing Apache, Mysql and PHP and Moodle. I'd also like to learn about programming, so I thought this might be the place to go. I'm looking forward to gaining as much knowledge as I can and hopefully be able to share some back, in time.

BK

Beans

Hello Global Neighbors!!

My name is Jerry. PEBKAC means Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. The term summarizes my computing environment. I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. If you wonder if you should try Linux, my suggestion is yes. The Live CD lets you test drive Ubuntu to see what it is like. The experience of trying Ubuntu has been great. It just works!!

My reason for joining the community is to become more familiar with Ubuntu. I like to find ways to improve the performance of my computers and Ubuntu has given me a fantastic platform to do just that! Currently I am configuring a kernel to use on my Centrino laptop. This has been fun and rewarding so far and the best is yet to come. My next efforts will be to optimise the resulting kernel through use of compilation tools available through the Linux community as well as those offered by my CPU maker.

Any user that is interested in or experienced with programming in assembly, C/C++, Python, LAMP stacks, making tool libraries, or basically going deeper into the underpinnings of platforms should feel free to drop me a note. This is my hobby, not my profession, so I am not offering products or seeking employment.

Thanks to Ubuntu and the community members who make all of this possible!

Sincerely,
    Jerry
    MyPEBKAC

Beans

Hello everyone. My name is Bill and I am just now running Linux as a permanent (though not lone) os on my machine. If it is any consilidation, I am running 2 Linux OS's and just one Windows 7. Been using Linux as an os since 9.04 as an installed os for more than a week at a time and playing with it since knoppix first came out. Used to run Redhat on an IBM Netfinity that I had. Just now getting serious about it.

Ubuntu 12.10 & Mint 13 on a 64GB SSD
    Windows 7 Ultimate on a 256GB SSD

Beans

Hi all
    My name is Stuart and I'm an Ubuntu user...

Actually I've posted on the forums a couple of times before without introducing myself here, to fix some problems I was having getting JACK to work and play nicely with DIN.

Anyway, I've been using Linux for a few years now and have pretty much settled on Ubuntu across all my machines, although I'm also playing with Scientific (although I don't really like GNOME), and OpenSuse (although I am seriously getting frustrated with KDE) and AntiX using Fluxbox - which I am seriously liking at the moment. At the moment they're all in VM's under 12.04 but if I get myself another laptop it will probably be a native installation for playing at development.

I'm interested in documentation (just about to sign up to help out with proof reading here), accessibility and developing a community around a common goal.

I'm a project manager by training, with a bit of business analysis in there, too, and I'm interested in philosophy, biohacking, epidemiology and stuff like that.

Cheers!

Stu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Stuz719 View Post
    Hi all
    My name is Stuart and I'm an Ubuntu user...

Actually I've posted on the forums a couple of times before without introducing myself here, to fix some problems I was having getting JACK to work and play nicely with DIN.

Anyway, I've been using Linux for a few years now and have pretty much settled on Ubuntu across all my machines, although I'm also playing with Scientific (although I don't really like GNOME), and OpenSuse (although I am seriously getting frustrated with KDE) and AntiX using Fluxbox - which I am seriously liking at the moment. At the moment they're all in VM's under 12.04 but if I get myself another laptop it will probably be a native installation for playing at development.

I'm interested in documentation (just about to sign up to help out with proof reading here), accessibility and developing a community around a common goal.

I'm a project manager by training, with a bit of business analysis in there, too, and I'm interested in philosophy, biohacking, epidemiology and stuff like that.

Cheers!

Stu
    Hi!
    Scientific Linux is a bit outdated, I think. If you'd want a classic GNOME 2 experience, you could try MATE.
    About KDE, I have a "love-hate" relationship with it. I love it until my system starts to freeze... I don't like the *boxes, they're too lightweight for me, so I'm happy with XFCE at Xubuntu
    Although I tried CrunchBang (#!) which is Debian + OpenBox and it's amazing. Perhaps, if one day I'm bored...
    Happy foruming!
    Catbuntu
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans

Um hi, I um am having a problem with finding out how to ask a question in here, and this is probably not the correct place to ask a question, but I dont know how to ask a question, so I have to go somwhere for information, the interface to this website is confusing me just a bit............... but Ill get used to it but anyway
    okay. I have been using Ubuntu and Linux for a while, but the computer was offfline, so picking up information was hard, so when we first put Ubuntu on I couldnt find information about how to install it, so after a couple days and a lot of crashing, me and someone else figured out the procedure for putting a new system on. The computer died, though, probably becuase of how we treated it, a bit later. So I have no Ubuntu system up and running, and all my knowledge is from fiddling around until something worked. I dont even understand what the "terminal" does.............................................. so basically Im all confused, and well I hope I didnt break any forum rules by posting this

Beans

Hi my name is Nenene, Nay-nay-nay, said fast. Not Nee-nee-nee, or Noo-noo-noo, Nenene. ;D

My brother gave me his old server. He upgraded it to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server. I wanted to learn how to do something besides Windows. The first thing I have to do is to get it to work with a Netgear wireless 'N' device. Everything here is wifi so I have to take the server to the dayroom for a real network connection or use my netbook until I have that working. I would rather have the server running so I could use it as my desktop. The netbook is totally inadequate for doing anything except the net.

And before you say anything, yes I know the difference between a server and a desktop. In the case of 12.04 it's basically a clean empty no frills install of Ubuntu with the exception of the servers: SSH, Samba, LAMP, DNS and... I don't remember the others right now. I don't have any use for office software. I'm looking to do art. Bro says it's already in the desktop side of the server. All I have to do is get the network part of it working.

Ta

Page 172 of 302 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast