Page 129 of 255 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 2547

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

warm cardigan: an introduction, etc.

Hello,

My name is Lawrence. I am no newcomer to the Ubuntu Forums, having maintained various (now inactive) accounts here since December of 2010, when I first dived into the world of Linux. However, I intend to stay here under this moniker.

I am currently using elementary OS Jupiter as my primary distro, but will likely "come home" to Ubuntu after the return of classic Gnome in 12.04.

I look forward to a bright future helping fellow Linux users. Thank you for building this phenomenal place.

/// warm cardigan ///
    Registered Linux User 550293
    Last edited by warm cardigan; March 28th, 2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: To add RLA #

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: warm cardigan: an introduction, etc.

Threads merged.

Welcome yet again to the forums Lawrence.

Beans

Hiya everyone

I am new to this site. I'm an university student and i'm a pc addict. I always surf internet. Planning to communicate and make some cool buddies from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hiya everyone

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobzeb9 View Post
    I am new to this site. I'm an university student and i'm a pc addict. I always surf internet. Planning to communicate and make some cool buddies from here.
    Greetings & Salutations!

Are you new to Linux? I made the switch about two years ago from that other operating system and all that.

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Duplicate threads merged.

Beans

Hello! I am new here! I hope to learn new ideas and inputs from the experts of this forum site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello and welcome all to the forums.
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

Do not read newspapers on an empty stomach ~ Russian Proverb ~ BrunoLotse

Beans

Hi everyone I'm John.

I'm an Absolutely Beginner with Ubutu/Linux. An old friend has been trying to get me to try this world for many years, so when my MS laptop went into the void last month, I again was challenged. So he installed Ubuntu & what I needed to get started on my reserve laptop.

It's been a steep learning curve, and I am not giving up.

My experience so far:
    My laptop runs smooth, starts quickly and it works
    Porting my old files from back-up worked well.
    Dash home is brilliant.
    Ubuntu program center is great. The function that most programs are approved and just installs and works is great.

LibreOffice is OK, but I've been spending far too much time correcting name_fields and editing macros to get old excel files flow with LibreOffice Calc, not to mention correction in Impress for my old PP files. LibreOffice Write been giving me the least problems.

Evolution was a turn down. I'd had hoped we could import my old mails (not much 5GB) Got the contacts/adressbook over easy, but importing 1 folder at the time for my mail, is not a solution. ALSO, Evolution didn't function good enough. Trust me I've read the forum & been harassing my old mate for solutions. He's an expert to UNIX/Linux, been telling me about this fantastic world for many years, so he was 1.st line of support every time something happened, and it did.

For me it was enjoyable, and a little sad, when his installation of Evolution also crashed, so we moved on to Thunderbird. Note no matter what I did, we could not get it to work with POP, (my mail provider use MS exchange) & I tried many suggestions on the forum, in the end I gave up & installed Thunderbird with local folders. It works for me now, now I just need to get my mail folders over, or not?

This forum have been of great help in this start up process. Since I run a small company, running laptops on an open & free platform is tempting, AND I miss the plug-and-play functionality going from one platform to another.

My wish to the developers, make it simple for MS people. Not all out there are competent, most of us are plain stupid. Exporting old stuff, over to a new and working platform is a winner to bring more people over. Since user/company has old files and lots mail they would like to keep, and most would have given up with the challenges I've had.

If I was to start with a new installation I would not hesitate,it would be on Linux OS, but if I'd not been so stubborn another soul would have gone back to Mr Gates. So please all you excellent developers, make it easy and make a working "outlook" clone to use with Linux, yes I've looked at Softemaker & it's not free for Linux eiter.

Thanks to all that supports this forum.
    All the best, cheers John

Beans

introduction

hi there my self saurabh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi to all the new people.

Page 129 of 255 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast