Page 126 of 389 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi, I am a new *nix user who installed ubuntu 11.10 as the primary OS on a spare laptop yesterday. It all went well after some initial questions regarding how to keep a factory restore partition and some bootloader confusion (thanks to the folks at #ubuntu-beginners and a variety of posts on this forum).

I only tend to use this machine for media viewing and the 'net but I suspect I will be delving into a few other bits and pieces on the way so apologies in advance for any daft questions!

So far though I am getting on well with the OS and have got all my "hobby" stuff working well. I am looking forward to finding out more about what ubuntu has to offer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ukchris View Post
    Hi, I am a new *nix user who installed ubuntu 11.10 as the primary OS on a spare laptop yesterday. It all went well after some initial questions regarding how to keep a factory restore partition and some bootloader confusion (thanks to the folks at #ubuntu-beginners and a variety of posts on this forum).

I only tend to use this machine for media viewing and the 'net but I suspect I will be delving into a few other bits and pieces on the way so apologies in advance for any daft questions!

So far though I am getting on well with the OS and have got all my "hobby" stuff working well. I am looking forward to finding out more about what ubuntu has to offer.
    Awesome.

Welcome to the forums!

Beans

Hello, my name's Justin and I'm from Sinagpore.
    I'm a self-taught programmer (C++, PHP, Javascript, C#, a bit of Java and a bit of AS3) and decided to forsake Windows and get Ubuntu because I have this weird feeling (misconception, maybe?) that getting involved may help me become a better programmer =P

There aren't any programmers in my social circle (literally none!), which makes me feel lonely at times; lonely, as in, I can't go to anyone easily when I have debug issues or when I want to learn something new.

C++ was the first language I learned and I do not regret it one bit; although, I felt like ripping my hair out when I first started. I only tried AS3 because it was required for a test for the GAMBIT summer programme at MIT (which I got accepted into, will be going over this June, yay) and Java because a friend of mine needed help for his programming assignment (he is not a programmer).

Oh, dear, I'm ranting.
    I'll probably have a tonne of questions to ask around the forums, I look forward to learning =)

(I'll be using Ubuntu after it downloads in about 12minutes and installs in ???minutes.)

Beans

I am new to this forum thinking my father should switch to Ubuntu since he cannot maintain his Windows computer at all and lacks a lot of knowledge about security. I"m a Windows user though I have nothing against Linux though I believe every OS is vulnerable though some settings and OS are harder to exploit than other. We both plan to get a external hard drive. I plan to print out pages he can look at so he can find out whether he have been compromised or not, it's unlikely but never hurts to know.

Side note- I think my wi-fi adapter in this computer is acting a bit weird. Scanned for hidden rootkits+hidden services using live CDs and comodo essential cleaning software and nothing suspicious to look at. There's 5 bars at most times and it drops to 4 bars for about a second while other 8 wi-fi location surrounding this neighbor disappear and appear. I also use a really restrictive setting on this Windows computer because I am always a bit paranoid and acknowledges 100 percent security is a big myth.My investigation shows everything is normal except for the 4 bar and 5 bar random shift.

Would Ubuntu live CD would allow me to see if the adapter acting similar so I can scratch it off the list to confirm it has to do with the adapter? Yes it's wireless.
    Last edited by Reptillian; March 14th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Beans

Hello, I'm SparkyPrawn and I'm an alcoholic
    (cue 'hi sparkyprawns')

I'm rather new to linux, only briefly using 10.04 on a few systems, until I decided to install 11.10 on a partition about a month ago. I visited this forum a few times to troubleshoot, always telling myself I'll register the next time I'm on.

Well, It's finally the next time and I registered, and I hope to see you around

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome to the forums all of you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello there..

I'm from indonesia
    Thanks to Ubuntu Forum to give me the best solution of ubuntu problems.
    My first distro was mandrake/mandriva linux,
    but after my boss introduced me to Ubuntu 8.04, i fall in love to ubuntu until now.
    And this forum was the first forum i signed to get answer of my problem.
    Thank you so much!

Beans

I'm from Mainland China and I'm a active member on ubuntu-cn forum (which is this: http://forum.ubuntu.org.cn/ ), this account is activated on May 2011, but I rarely login to ask or answer.
    I'm start to using Ubuntu on December 2009 by using 9.10, I install it with Wubi and I capture it by video. Then I try 6.06 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 10.10, 11.04 and of course 11.10. I also try other systems by Live USB.
    That's my Linux story.

Beans

hello
    ive been tinkering with ubuntu since 2008 but recently started really using it now i want to run it on my ipod touch 3rd gen but cant find any thing so i figured this would be a good place to start sorry if im in the wrong thread if any one would point me in the right direction i would appreciate it
    thanks Nubzilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome!

Page 126 of 389 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast