Page 10 of 312 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi to all, i wish that all people that enter to this forums found the answer of all doubt like me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi!
    I am Varunendra (call me varun) from India.
    I completely switched to Ubuntu (from XP) just the day before I joined this forum.
    [Update: Although I did use it consistently for next 4-6 months, my job forced me to use XP again. Currently, although I have Ubuntu 10.04 as a dual boot, I use XP most of the time while keep Ubuntu 10.10 & 11.04 running simultaneously in VMs]

Till the day of this post, I've never gone through any computer course nor do I have any computer-related certificates yet. I never found someone who could guide or help me whenever I needed (before joining this forum of course). Most of whatever I know today is by experience, mostly try & error method.

I had been using Ubuntu & other flavors of Linux since version 7.04 but only as disaster recovery tools. Even if I installed it (dual booted with WinXP) a few times, I was like 'touch & run away' type user.

In Oct.2009, one of my friends doing B.Tech. in Comp.Sc. asked me to install Ubuntu on his Laptop (dual boot again). After a couple of months he called me again & to my surprise (yes! I thought he would have removed Ubuntu by then) he told me that he completely switched to Ubuntu a month later & it was more than fantastic for his needs (programming, browsing, movies, ......... all the student's stuff). Soon he visited me & showed his laptop. He was using Ubuntu Studio 9.04 combined with Compiz, and that added to the glamor needed to push me beyond the line.

It was time when Win7 was available for trial but when compared to UbuntuStudio+Compiz, I was so overwhelmed by Ubuntu that I decided to give it a full-fledged try.
    Initially I installed it on a USB HDD in live-session mode and kept using it for next 2-3 months (I was so possessed by that setup you can get a feel here). Then I noticed some bottlenecks (not impossible to overcome but difficult at that time) and a full install seemed to be the most optimal solution.
    In March 2010, I made a full install of UbuntuStudio 9.10 (Karmik) + Compiz on my office PC (not dual boot this time) & completely switched to it.

My experience with it...?? Well.... "I AM IN LOVE WITH UBUNTU" would be the simplest words to explain that!

I still have XP on other computers in my office but only because I couldn't have convinced my colleagues yet to switch to Linux. And even that I've planned & hope to be able to change in the coming days. Although it seems to be too ambitious to realize that (you can see here).
    [Update: Even though some of my seniors and colleagues liked it, the next hurdle was the difference in keyboard layout for Hindi typing, which is core of our office-work. Then some apps including a few Hindi-supporting ones which run only on XP. Those who have a personal laptop, now have it as a dual-boot.]

I hope with Ubuntu and some other Open Source gems, someday I'll be able to set my Office and Lab as a shining example for others to follow!
    Last edited by varunendra; September 21st, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: to add updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all,

Joined this forum back in Sep 09 when I made my first attempts at using Ubuntu. At this time, I dual booted Win7 and Ubuntu. I gave Ubuntu a go for about a month and then reverted back to Win7 OS only.

Anyway, I took the plunge again on Monday and installed 10.04 as my only OS (i.e. no longer have Win7 at all). I have now realised that my initial attempts using Ubuntu back last Sep 09 were hindered by me. This was because I was trying to replicate everything that I did in Win7 on the Ubuntu OS. I now reliase that the best way to get the most out of ubuntu is to use it as ubuntu and not as ubuntu dressed up as Win7.

Hi to all and thanks in advance to all you friendly people that will undoubtedly help me sometime in the future. Hopefully i will be able to repay the help once I have a bit more experience in all things linux.

TheMadMan

Beans

Hi all. Had Ubuntu installed on our PC for a few months now and am still in learning mode. Ubuntu is great, really basic in some ways compared to Windows, which is good as there isn't too much stuff to baffle you with but when it comes to anything to solve problems on the PC I still have no clue what I am doing so hopefully, if I have any problems, some kind soul on here will help me find an answer to any problems I may have.

I live in South east Northumberland, married with two teenage children.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Arrow Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi All,

I'm Lloyd - I've been here before - but it was a long time ago

I'm an IT entrepreneur, web applications developer, that kind of thing

I'm busy at the moment with the "Free Software University", my new project - everyone's welcome, btw

I like Ubuntu but don't like the proprietary elements that make my distro non-free. I like using gNewSesne, but want an updated version )

So, chat later - nice to meet you all!

Lloyd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    I'm Hamird, from Iran. I'm using Ubuntu since last summer, started from Jaunty. From then I was using this forum for my troubles and solved a lot thanks to this forum. And today I decided to join and spend more time here!
    Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

I"m not the moderator or anything, just wanted to say, it's wonderful to see all these people coming together and introducing themselves over a great operating system and philosophy...thx all

Repeating my introduction, I'm a somewhat new Ubuntu user, mew to being 100% Open source anyway...been almost a month since I went 100% Ubuntu...and really enjoying every minute...

attached is a screenshot of some of my music apps running together via jack, thx Ubuntu Community for keeping me free!

Free for freedom! My name is David Wolfman btw...and I'm in Lexington, MA. There's a time and place for aliases, this, to me, is not one of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dvwolfman; June 6th, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: name insert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all members! I was referred to this forum from Ubuntorooster, also known as the roo! I know he is famous here. I am very glad to get started. See~ya around!
    ~~Lightning Strike~~

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1, glad to see you
    2, ubunterooster
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

I am not entirely new but only recently switched 99% and brought my whole office with me.
    I first tried 8.04 on a laptop and enjoyed the whole concept but I was doing a lot of web and php development for my business and my preferred tools just did not play well with others.
    Recently our office server started throwing some HD errors and one day an important directory just disappeared, the backups were too old. We are in a very seasonal business and now was the busy season with dozens of orders being processed each day, each order being a complete tour and travel arrangements for up to 100 people each.
    I made the rash decision to dump the MS Server 2003(that we had little access to since our hired consultant went away and would not reveal admin passwords) It was never very fast on the hardware it ran on.
    I read up on Ubuntu 10.04 Server and built up a machine for it. The new machine was an older quad core AMD built as a gamer, and I bought used from a friend's kid because the $1000 video card just was not fast enough for his tastes. The install of 10.04 worked well, and copied the files over before unplugging the old MS Server box.
    My initial reaction was that i had a lot to learn but it worked perfectly and the whole network of 28 desktops really came alive. It has been two weeks and not one person has missed making a comment about how fast their files are being served. Samba was easy to set up, as were personal and public directories.
    I am a complete amateur with networks, but maintain our web site and database driven shopping cart and write lots of PHP scripts to run the office. The more I learned about command line interface the more I liked it. I installed Webmin, opened a remote SSH port and can admin the machine from anywhere.
    That worked so much better than expectations that I loaded a spare laptop with 10.04 and another with Kubuntu 10.04 to get a feel for both interfaces. Our office had 5 different versions of Windows and Office 2003 and 2007, in 2 languages and a result was a nightmare to keep secure....which it never was. It has been a hassle to keep everything working together. The staff wants to keep whatever they have because they customize the appearance and have their own partition on their machines for private files...mostly photos and other non-work related items. That further complicates keeping printers and scanners working all over the network.
    I tried to convince one of the staff members to try Ubuntu, she did but complained that it was not Windows, but did like how she could read ANY 2007 or 2003 Office Files using Open Office. Well, last weekend I came in when it was quiet and added Kubuntu to every desktop in dual boot arrangement. We had an office meeting Monday where I announced we were now an Ubuntu/Kubuntu office like it or not. The effortless security updating and easy installation of new packages alone were good enough reasons to have everyone having identical OS.
    There was some grumbling but no one quit and I did not have to fire anyone;>) This morning two of the most vocal women in the office came to say they approved and sort of liked the pretty "MacIntosh" look of their new desk tops. Also the computers did not need to be rebooted mid-day to recover memory like the Windows OS did.
    We have not had a single hardware or application problem that I had to solve so my real job of running the company can get a boost in productivity.
    I am cheating however, I still have one laptop with Vista because my CodeCharge Studio has not worked so far with Wine. Maybe Virtual Box will work.

My perspective as a business owner who needs high reliability and consistency in performance of a network, and not being a gear head or geek, I see that Ubuntu desktop and certainly Ubuntu Server are ready for general office use, with the users completely unaware of what OS is running underneath. 8.04 was close but 10.04 is ready for almost any small to medium business acting as their own administrators.

The quality of the application packages are getting more impressive with each version. The KATE advanced text/code editor for example has such a useful easy to learn interface and is fast. Open Office reads more files types than anything else.
    Last edited by km6xz; June 8th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Page 10 of 312 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast