Hi all!

I'm Peter and I'm not exactly new to Ubuntu, but not a pro either... although I suppose I am considering the job I've found myself in, although I'll get to that in a bit. I first used Ubuntu about a year or two ago, at home, just for a little something different. Having used OpenSuse before that for a taster in Linux.

I've always loved messing around with computers, but never really thought of it as a possibility for a career, just a hobby until a couple of months ago I got a job in a charity, originally as an Administrator. No, not a system admin, or anything fun like that, the sort of Admin in charge of filing paperwork, and boring things like that until I showed some skills with computers, and I got put in charge of their IT infrastructure. That actually all happened in the first day, mind you.

So I told them the things I could do, set them up a basic home office Windows network (I know, the shame). Then I sort of showed them a few of the other things I could do, and before I knew it I'd convinced them (and myself) that I was going to set up a file server, a VPN to connect to our other branches, and a stock control system.

Bitten off more than I can chew? Maybe. I now have a proper Samba server running... which although I had to have two cracks at it, went reasonably smoothly. I'm aiming to get OpenVPN running at some point soon, but I reckon I'll need a static IP for it to work, and probably something else I can't think of (it's late and I've been drinking after winning some money on the football [soccer]). I also now have one person working for me in what is now MY department, and will be getting another soon, as long as the interviews go well.

I don't need any help at the moment, but I have used one, or, two of the how to's on here, so thought I'd sign up. I'll probably have to ask some (very) stupid questions at some point, but I'm sure you're used to that on here ... I have a habit of making my posts this long, this rambling and this pointless, but I think it adds a certain charm to my e-persona.

I'm sure I'll see you around as I ask stupid questions, make stupid mistakes and bite of more than I can even fathom, let alone chew. Don't be too harsh on me for it, though.