Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network Manager Disabled

Beans

Network Manager Disabled

A friend of mine put kubuntu on my laptop. I have no idea how to fix things, and now it says 'Network Manager Disabled' how do i re enable?

Beans

Re: Network Manager Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by kittiikat View Post
    A friend of mine put kubuntu on my laptop. I have no idea how to fix things, and now it says 'Network Manager Disabled' how do i re enable?
    Do you have a button or switch for use on airplanes to turn off the wifi? Check to see if that is enabled.
    HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 250 @ 3.2Ghz 3GB RAM 640GB HD
    Saline OS 1.6 2.6.32 AMD64 Xfce
    SolusOS Beta-1 3.0.0 solus kernel i686 Gnome 2.3
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin 3.2.0-15-generic

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kittiikat View Post
    I have exactly the same problem. My kubuntu 10.4 suddenly crashed when updating, and upon reboot the network manager is disabled. The only way I have found to connect to a network again is via command line, obviously this is not a solution. I think its a major bug.

Beans

If the network manager isn't crashing check these, should be set as:

/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

-------
    and

/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

[main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    WWANEnabled=true

Beans

Hi chaosgrimm,

Thank you for the solution! I had exactly this problem. I have no idea what made this variables turn 'false' all the sudden. I've been using Kubuntu 10.04 for some days now and networking was just fine so i was not messing around with these settings.
    Although i did change some power saving setting before the 'disabled' networking problem appeared i doubt it has anything to do with it. Looking at other people's posts it seems to appear randomly.

Cheers
    ivan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for this. It happened on my boss's laptop so most embarrassing! No idea why, but NetworkingEnabled was set to false.
    "Answers satisfy the mind, mysteries capture the heart." -- David Gate

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chaosgrimm View Post
    If the network manager isn't crashing check these, should be set as:

/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

-------
    and

/var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

[main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    WWANEnabled=true
    Thanks for posting this, chaosgrimm! Saved my day!

All happened when I tried to put my laptop on 'sleep mode'. For some reason it did not sleep and stopped working (no response at all, even the SysReq + R, E, I, S, U, B trick wasn't working).

After I reset it, the networkmanager seemed dead. 'dhclient' was working, though. Then I found this post and discovered that all the options in those configuration files were set to 'false'!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the fix, chaosgrimm!

This has happened to me on two separate systems now; it may be a bug in 10.04 LTS. Both times it occurred the system failed to go into the sleep state, froze, and upon restart had these networking flags changed to "false".

Has anyone submitted a bug report for this yet?

Beans

Exactly the same problem on a Dell. Not sure how to submit a bug report, but it should be done. Hopefully someone more experienced will do it.

Thanks for the help chaosgrimm!

Beans

Hi, I think Agniruc and Epavlica are on the right track: it's something connected with the power management failing to go into or resume from standby, and the network manager being left in a disabled state.

I recently upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04 from 9.10 (with previous 9.04 etc previously on the same system - probably not a good idea!) - so not a clean system.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FW11E and the standby/resume has never worked properly - it just hangs on resume and needs a power-off to get it running again. Last night, since I had not tried the standby/resume with 10.04, I tried it to see if it was working and got the same hang as usual. The following morning I got the same situation the the previous posters and the fix also worked for me.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast