Thread: Is my hard drive screwed?

Beans

Exclamation Is my hard drive screwed?

My PC froze, unable to determine why, and I was forced to do a hard shut down. When I restarted the Palimpsest Disk Utility came on and said I had bad sectors and my HDD was failing.
    Is there any chance that the issue was just caused by the sudden power loss or do I need to get a new HDD and transfer my data ASAP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Is my hard drive screwed?

If you go to the HDD manufacturer's website, you should be able to download an iso image that you burn to a disk and then you boot your system from this disk.

It will allow you to run full diagnostics on the suspect HDD.

Of course, you will need access to another PC initially to do the download and to burn the iso image onto a CDROM.

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans

Re: Is my hard drive screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet_1953 View Post
    If you go to the HDD manufacturer's website, you should be able to download an iso image that you burn to a disk and then you boot your system from this disk.

It will allow you to run full diagnostics on the suspect HDD.

Of course, you will need access to another PC initially to do the download and to burn the iso image onto a CDROM.

Regards,
    Roger
    Hmmm. Getting access to another PC quickly might be a problem for me. Anything linux compatible that would do the same thing?