Thread: How do I find my CPU socket type from my motherboard in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

How do I find my CPU socket type from my motherboard in Ubuntu?

I might upgrade my CPU and would like to know what my socket type is, thanks.
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans

Re: How do I find my CPU socket type from my motherboard in Ubuntu?

I dont know if you can find it that way but if you go to the manufacturers website with your motherboard model number it should tell you everything you need to know......

Beans
    Distro

What if I don't know my model number? O.o
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans

It should say what the number is and the manufacture on the motherboard itself.Other than that I dont know.In some cases if you dont see either then the serial number and the model number on the back of the case (tower) will help and just google it.....

Beans

In a terminal type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

That will give you the info,then google the processor results....

Beans
    Distro

Thanks!

Beans

I happen to already know you have a socket 754 motherboard , TheNerdAL/.

The best CPU you will be able to find for that is a socket 754 3700+ (2.4Ghz, 1024k cache)

BTW, your current CPU is a 3100+, but that is a sempron, so the 3100+ is measured against a celeron. If you get an athlon 64, the xxxx+ naming is measured against a 'full' P4 so (for example) an Athlon 64 at 3200+ is faster than a sempron 3200+

Sempron 3200+ 1.8Ghz, 256k cache
    Athlon 64 3200+ 2.4Ghz, 512k cache

Quote Originally Posted by PRC09 View Post
    In a terminal type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

That will give you the info,then google the processor results....
    A flawed method.

There are lots of CPUs that will output the same basic info with that command that have different CPU sockets.

Beans

Do you have another command that will tell the socket type? I just tried the 2 machines I have close to me and googled the results both were correct according to the spec sheets for both processors,both were amd,1 socket A and the other was a socket 939....I dont have anything else powered up right now but I am curious.......

Beans

As far as I know, there is no command to get the socket type.

lshw might work a little better than just the cat proc/cpuinfo command. You would have to search both the CPU type and the chipset, but and even that still has flaws- eg the 915 chipset ihas both lga 775 and socket 478 version.

cat proc/cpuinfo is more flawed, because of the number of CPUs that have different CPU sockets on CPUs with the same name, eg P4 EE 3.4 (socket 478 and lga 775), athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754, 939 and AM2)

*edit- I do far more hardware than software, and my prefered mehtod for finding CPU socket type is via 'eyeball' But if anybody does know a method that will give the soket type from command, or from a GUI, in linux, please post it
    Last edited by cascade9; April 10th, 2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: extra info, typos.

Beans

I'm pretty sure that this command will get it for you:

sudo dmidecode –t 4 | grep "Socket"

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    As far as I know, there is no command to get the socket type.

lshw might work a little better than just the cat proc/cpuinfo command. You would have to search both the CPU type and the chipset, but and even that still has flaws- eg the 915 chipset ihas both lga 775 and socket 478 version.

cat proc/cpuinfo is more flawed, because of the number of CPUs that have different CPU sockets on CPUs with the same name, eg P4 EE 3.4 (socket 478 and lga 775), athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754, 939 and AM2)

*edit- I do far more hardware than software, and my prefered mehtod for finding CPU socket type is via 'eyeball' But if anybody does know a method that will give the soket type from command, or from a GUI, in linux, please post it