Thread: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu

Beans

Moving from Windows to Ubuntu

I want to move away from Windows and try out Ubuntu on one machine at home first. The computer is currently loaded with Windows XP running on a main drive, with all my data (pictures, movies, music, etc.) on a separate "D" drive.

When I install Ubuntu on my main drive I understand I will loose everything on that drive. My question is if I need to do anything with the "D" drive, or will that data simply become accessible through Ubuntu after the install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by clskier View Post
    My question is if I need to do anything with the "D" drive, or will that data simply become accessible through Ubuntu after the install?
    Ubuntu will be able to see the D drive and access everything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by clskier View Post
    When I install Ubuntu on my main drive I understand I will loose everything on that drive.
    If you choose to do this yes. But there are other options. You can try ubuntu using a live CD without any changes to your computer (live USB is faster), install it under windows using wubi, or shrink your c: drive and set up a dual boot.

All of these alternatives allow you to keep XP, just in case. Once you have used Ubuntu for a while and are sure you want to move completely then you can wipe XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Moving from Windows to Ubuntu

Strongly second the suggestion to use a LiveCD first ... especially if you have little or no experience installing Ubuntu.

The LiveCD will give you a chance to experience the look-and-feel of Ubuntu, while also seeing how well it detects your hardware and installs the proper drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.