Thread: Disappointed in the mods at Ubuntu forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Disappointed in the mods at Ubuntu forums

Yesterday I posted a very simple message, asking for support at a facebook page contest for a friend. This is a Community Cafe forum where it clearly states at the top of the screen:

"The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

So why has a mod closed my thread? If I was at work and was standing by the water cooler and told other employees to please vote for my friend on facebook that would be ok. That's what Community Cafe is for. My topic did not violate any rules, did not cause a problem and did not cause drama. It simply was an invitation to go vote for a basic facebook contest to help out a friend. But as usual, a mod with an attitude decides he/she has all power and closes the thread. So apparently you really can't post a general discussion or general post in this portion of the Ubuntu forums. I've seen several posts that talk about anything under the sun, but mine was sectioned out just because the mod personally didn't approve of it even though it didn't violate any forum rules. Thanks bapoumba, I'll be sure to avoid any forum that has you as a mod.
    Shall we play a game?

How about Global Thermonuclear War?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Disappointed in the mods at Ubuntu forums

To the admins, it's in reference to this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...69&postcount=5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Yesterday I posted a very simple message, asking for support at a facebook page contest for a friend. This is a Community Cafe forum where it clearly states at the top of the screen:

"The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

So why has a mod closed my thread? If I was at work and was standing by the water cooler and told other employees to please vote for my friend on facebook that would be ok. That's what Community Cafe is for. My topic did not violate any rules, did not cause a problem and did not cause drama. It simply was an invitation to go vote for a basic facebook contest to help out a friend. But as usual, a mod with an attitude decides he/she has all power and closes the thread. So apparently you really can't post a general discussion or general post in this portion of the Ubuntu forums. I've seen several posts that talk about anything under the sun, but mine was sectioned out just because the mod personally didn't approve of it even though it didn't violate any forum rules. Thanks bapoumba, I'll be sure to avoid any forum that has you as a mod.
    You did nothing wrong and no infractions were issues.

However, I support the staff in closing your thread. Your thread is not jailed, and so others can see your post.

I would also encourage you to use facebook, We are a support forums and the cafe would degenerate quickly if it is used for tweats, facebook posts, etc. Please use facebook or other social sites for such activity.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1449196

In addition, as I was the one closing the thread, such requests can be seen as spammy. I did not say spam, but spammy. UF has a high google rank and high traffic. If we allow self promotion, we will soon drown under. If it is so important to you, better place a link in your signature.

To anyone else reading: we also spam ban for profile or signature spam links, so please use with caution!

I did not issue any infraction and the thread is still visible, as pointed out by bodhi. The usual spam process is a ban after removing the thread from public viewing.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |