Thread: synaptic error in merge list.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

synaptic error in merge list.

Hello all,

I'm sure I'm not the first to have encountered a problem with synaptic when I tried to load it up to install a new bit of software (in this instance help screens for OO).

However when I did I got the following error message

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.ox.ac.uk_sites_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_di sts_jaunty_restricted_binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

When I opened the file that had the apparent prolem < /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.ox.ac.uk_sites_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_di sts_jaunty_restricted_binary-i386_Packages > it transpired it actually contained the html page for the router ?? which seemed wierd to me.

However I have recently I changed to a new ISP

So after a bit of a search, nothing explicity had my problem, and I was a bit stumped. Then I suddenly had a thought, after reading someone else how did something similar.... I then did the following....

Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.ox.ac.uk_sites_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_restricted_binary-i386_Packages /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.ox.ac.uk_sites_archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_restricted_binary-i386_Packages_BAD
    so as synaptic would no longer look at the bad file....

Code:
     sudo apt-get update
    which I guess re-creates everything the way it should be?

Code:
    sudo apg-get check
    which returns no errors. When I ran this prior to doing the above steps of moving the bad file etc I simply got the same error messages again.

I then almost immediately received an update notification, which I politely performed, and everything not seems to be back to normal

I would include a copy of the file that I renamed, but I'm guessing the < apt-get check > procedure removed it....

Can anyone tell me however why the file managed to become corrupted??

David
    Last edited by lisati; April 8th, 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: tags
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: synaptic error in merge list.

Moved from "Tutorials and tips" to "General help", "solved" tag removed, and code tag fixed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: synaptic error in merge list.

lisati,

Thanks for that.

However I did solve my problem (hence the solved tag), and wanted to share the info with others. The solved tag will tell someone searching this issue that there is a worked solution, even though I don't understand why the problem occured in the first instance?

I didn't find a direct reference to this particular problem and worked out the solution after getting ideas from various other threads.

David.
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page