Thread: PXE installation problem

Beans

PXE installation problem

I am trying to install via PXE boot. Here is the scenario .

Server : Windows 7

Tftpd Setup done . I have also installed apache and extracted the alternate iso file to the home directory ( where index.html) usually resides .

Client : Laptop

I install via PXE and it reaches a point where it asks for archive , I give the IP of my windows machine and .... try to give various directories but I get the error

"Bad archive mirror error"

It tries to find some Release file ...

I really dont know what to do .

Another user explains what I did - Except that he says he gave IP and it works smoothly ! Doesnt it ask for a directory ?

I have DHCP/TFTP part of the install running with no problem, but I'm also trying to serve the packages from the same Windows machine running mini web server. I mount the ubuntu-6.10-alternate-i386.iso image, point the web server to it's root and boot the target PC. Install runs OK, I select location, keyboard, for archive location I enter IP of the Windows machine with the running web server and install continues by copying packages, but it fails to find libstdc++6, libsigc++2, ntpdate, vim-common and vim-tiny. I've tried several times, it's only those 5 pkgs, that the installer can't get. I've checked the exported image and the packages are of course there. Anyone having an idea what's wrong? Thanks.

Here is the output of my localhost://

Index of /

.disk/
    README.diskdefines
    cdromupgrade
    dists/
    doc/
    install/
    isolinux/
    md5sum.txt
    pics/
    pool/
    preseed/
    ubuntu
    ubuntu-10.04-beta1-alternate-i386.iso
    Help
    Last edited by thegladaitor; April 7th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PXE installation problem

The problem seems to be that the client cannot access the internet. I do not know how your network is configured, but the client needs to know the gateway address. I assume your DHCP/TFTP server is the only DHCP server on your network. You might need to configure it to provide the correct gateway address to the client, especially if you have the gateway somewhere else, like in your router. If your server is not the gateway, you cannot use its own IP address.

Can you provide a link to the installation method you are using? It might help to see exactly what you are trying to do. I see you have put the alternate .iso on the server, so maybe you do not need internet access to install the system. But, it seems the installer is looking for internet access, because that is where the archive mirror is.
    Last edited by dstew; April 8th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: PXE installation problem

try to setup a web server

put the necessary files for the installation at the www directory

configure the preceed file to use [server ip]/[www content path] as a mirror

worked for us...