Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to delete the unwanted files in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to delete the unwanted files in ubuntu

<sigh> OK, I'll ask in simpler terms.</sigh>

IS it safe for my system to allow bleachbit to delete all the language files that I do not require?

that's all I want to know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What would be simple and precise is to post the list of packages you want removed. If there are indeed thousands, then post a few.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by n1ght5t4lk3r View Post
    I would just like to remove all the language files (several thousand of them) that I personally do not need, everything else is fine in terms of amount of content (in fact, have had to add a lot more).
    Look into the program localepurge.

You can check a given file's fragmentation with filefrag.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

<sigh> OK, I'll ask in simpler terms.</sigh>

IS it safe for my system to allow bleachbit to delete all the language files that I do not require?

that's all I want to know
    Yes, it is safe! I have done it many times. I run Bleachbit as root - "sudo bleachbit" from a terminal and not
    Applications > System Tools > Bleashbit (as root). I have almost every option checked too. The only ones I do not
    have checked are Deep scan - Backup files, Firefox - Passwords, Places and Session restore, System - Memory.
    And under Edit Preferences on the Languages tab, I only have English checked. So, I have no other languages and
    I have had no problems for quite a while.

I usually have 13.7GB used after cleaning my system! That is all and I believe that is a lean system by anyone's standards!

BTW, I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu boots to a usable state much faster than Windows 7 does.
    I hear my wife complain about it every time she gets on it. She doesn't like having to wait 2-3 minutes for anything to work.
    Ubuntu boots up in approximately 20 seconds.

I guess I am going to have to "learn her" how to use Ubuntu because it is a lot faster!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much Cavsfan,

...and your wife sounds exactly like mine, its Vista we have dual boot as the other OS (which is probably slower to boot than W7) which she uses to play Sims and an assortment of other games, and like yours, moans about boot times. She's still a bit scared of trying Ubuntu herself, except for browsing if I happen to have left the computer on

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are very welcome!

I ran Bleachbit last night and it cleared everything it was supposed to and left me with around 15GB used space.
    I still consider that to be minuscule compared to any version of windows' bloated systems.
    Windows 7 is much faster to boot than vista was, but slow is still slow...

I found bleachbit on page 1 of this thread posted by jaycee23 and have been running it as I explained above ever since.
    I like the fact that it wipes your free space and at first was alarmed by the message that I was running out of disk space,
    but realized it was just writing over the free space on my file system.

I believe it is a very good program and it's windows counterpart would be ccleaner.
    The only weird thing I have noticed is that in SPM - Custom Filters - Missing Recommends, it shows that I am missing
    "TrueType font designed for Arabic language". But, since I do not speak Arabic, I don't worry!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I believe it is a very good program and it's windows counterpart would be ccleaner.

Indeed, I have used Ccleaner (used to be Crapcleaner but I guess the name gave the wrong impression) for a few years on my windows boot.

As for bleachbit, I've been using it since I started using ububtu a year ago, but never as root, and since doing a fresh install of 10.04 a couple of days ago I saw it list over 400Mb of 'un-needed' files, mainly the localization files I didn't need along with some .debs in the apt cache, and of course requiring to be run as root to delete. Just wanted to know if it was safe to remove these and now I know and have removed them with zero issues arising.

Thanks again man

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Indeed, I have used Ccleaner (used to be Crapcleaner but I guess the name gave the wrong impression) for a few years on my windows boot.

As for bleachbit, I've been using it since I started using ububtu a year ago, but never as root, and since doing a fresh install of 10.04 a couple of days ago I saw it list over 400Mb of 'un-needed' files, mainly the localization files I didn't need along with some .debs in the apt cache, and of course requiring to be run as root to delete. Just wanted to know if it was safe to remove these and now I know and have removed them with zero issues arising.

Thanks again man
    You are very welcome! Yea, I guess Crap Cleaner might have not gone over so well! LOL!
    But, I am so glad I found Bleachbit and after running it a dozen or so times, I am confident that it is good!
    It does take it a little while to run, but I have a core 2 quad and since it deletes unneeded files and then
    writes zeros and ones over the unused disk space on the partition I think it is pretty fast.
    I like how it says at the end how much it cleaned. I think 400MB was what it cleaned during the first run.
    Sure makes your system minimal and faster I think.
    Bleachbit and Lucid both Rock!

Beans

One thing I have noticed is that when choosing "send to trash", the trash can never recieves it, and even after running the command to empty the trash, the hard drive space is not given back. It appears that Bleachbit goes after temp files, cookies, dead links, etc. But these are GB files I am removing, and the space never comes back. If I continue to add, the hard drive will become full, then the dreaded "low resolution mode" happens when the disk space becomes too full. This one is a freakin nightmare!!!

Is there a way to just permenantly delete the file without having to dance around in the terminal trying to find what directories have large files or what is "in use" still, etc? I hate to say it, but deleting files in Windows is right-click, delete, empty recycle bin, space back again.

Surely there must be a way?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Back to sleep, old thread.

@ fishman35, you would appear to have a specific problem with your system that is not common if you are unable to reclaim HD space after deleting files. I suggest you start your own support thread and someone may be able to help you to resolve this.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123