Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound in firefox extensions

Beans

Question No sound in firefox extensions

Hello. I have a problem with sound in firefox extensions.I have sound in flash, but not in firefox itself.This maybe because they are using defferent backends (alsa, pulse) but i don't know exactly, or how to change it for firefox(i haven't found any firefoxrc file).Also sound often is breaking on my system.So please help me.
    I am running Kubuntu 9.10 on ASUS K40AB, if needed i'll provide all additional info about my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No sound in firefox extensions

What do you mean by sound on extensions? Extensions don't render sound by themselves. If you mean that you don't have sound when clicking buttons and such, then you need to change the system sound settings.

EDIT: i just noticed you are using Kubuntu, so I removed the instructions for Gnome.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 6th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

I mean extensions for firefox that uses "nsIsound" interface for sound output.
    When i run firefox in gnome or windows xp, i can hear sound from my extensions, but on kubuntu i can't hear.
    I thinks that flash and firefox itself may have different configs for sound.
    But i can be wrong.Anyway thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by metrofun; April 6th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by metrofun View Post
    I mean extensions for firefox that uses "nsIsound" interface for sound output.
    If you can't hear any of the nsISounds, then you shouldn't be hearing any Firefox event sounds, like button clicks and such.

Can you hear other Firefox event sounds, not related to extension functionality?

What is your Firefox version?

Could you provide the name of an extension that you use and should be using nsISound, but doesn't work properly, so I can test it?

When i run firefox in gnome or windows xp, i cab hear sound from my extensions, but on kubuntu i can't here.
    I thinks that flash and firefox itself may have different configs for sound.
    But i can be wrong.Anyway thanks for your reply.
    Yes, flash is probably tied to the video sounds, while nsISound is part of Firefox event sounds. Go to "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia >> Device Preference >>> Audio Output >>> Notifications" and switch to Pulseaudio.

Beans

My firefox version is 3.5.8.You are right - I also can't hear any other sounds from firefox like button clicks.
    I went to "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia >> Device Preference >>> Audio Output >>> Notifications" chose Pulseaudio and pressed button "Test", i really heard a test sound, but it also killed sound from flash in firefox.
    There was also another default option in "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia >> Device Preference >>> Audio Output >>> Notifications" - HDA ATI SB (VT1708S) which also produced sound on test.

Beans

In addition it killed all sound on my system, and i can't get it work even after killing all processes using pcm, and restarting alsa-conf.

Beans
    Distro

My firefox version is 3.5.8.You are right - I also can't hear any other sounds from firefox like button clicks.
    I went to "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia >> Device Preference >>> Audio Output >>> Notifications" chose Pulseaudio and pressed button "Test", i really heard a test sound, but it also killed sound from flash in firefox.
    There was also another default option in "System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Multimedia >> Device Preference >>> Audio Output >>> Notifications" - HDA ATI SB (VT1708S) which also produced sound on test.
    Play with those settings to see if you can find a combination that produces sounds for flash and Firefox events.

Beans

Doesn't help.Sometimes when i click test pulseaudio i get notofocation about error and falling back to HDA ATI, but any clicks on test button kills sound on my system, sometimes it's enough to restart application with sound, sometimes to restart kdm.

Beans
    Distro

Ironically, I have lost Firefox system sounds too

I happened since I installed Lucid Lynx. I'm using the default Firefox installation (3.6.3), but have tested other versions downloaded from Mozilla.

What version of KDE you are using?

I will investigate this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I'm having the same problem since I upgraded to the plain version of Ubuntu Lucid. No sound from anything having to do with firefox. Sound works fine everywhere else.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast