Thread: Moderation

Beans

Moderation

I just was hoping for a quick chat with any mod who is free. I notice a lot of members, even ones I had seen around for a while are leaving. I wish to tell you that I can see why people would think that you are strict, heavy handed or biased. That does not mean that you are. From what I seen, you make the correct decisions, done patiently and with do process. I doubt any one of you enjoys banning anyone from the forums.

I created a thread recently trying to show the mods that there are those of us who do appreciate your time and effort, especially that you are all volunteers. It went downhill, which I should have expected, but a lot of good people posted their thoughts.

On the surface it seems like a good idea to merely give someone a verbal warning. Calm and rationally say that they should cool down, and just censor the part of the posts. However thinking about it I see that people that are going to be aggressive and break the CoC are likely to do it willfully anyway. Warning them is not strict enough to get them to understand, and infracting them is enough to set them off further. As an example someone recently was very very rude to Matthew after a decision, and several warnings.

The only thing I see that can be done is enforce the CoC as you have been. I agree, though I wondered what your opinions on this were. Perhaps we can collaborate on a solution even.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Moderation

We have a system of policies and procedures in place where we are as light handed as possible and moderation can take many forums.

Our expectations are clearly posted here :

Ubuntu Forums - CoC

We use the resolution center in an attempt to resolve misunderstandings.

As a non staff member much of the activity is not visible to you, as is appropriate.

The Resolution Center is a place for you to discuss your account with the staff and we will not discuss the accounts of others with you.

People leave for many reasons and I would be jumping to conclusions if I were to guess why people leave.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Yes you are correct.

Beans

Sorry to double post, I would like to add that the content is not visible to me appropriately so. I was just commenting things are looking up lately. I wish you luck in moderation. Perhaps cool heads could do more for some situations though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I just was hoping for a quick chat with any mod who is free. I notice a lot of members, even ones I had seen around for a while are leaving. I wish to tell you that I can see why people would think that you are strict, heavy handed or biased. That does not mean that you are. From what I seen, you make the correct decisions, done patiently and with do process. I doubt any one of you enjoys banning anyone from the forums.

I created a thread recently trying to show the mods that there are those of us who do appreciate your time and effort, especially that you are all volunteers. It went downhill, which I should have expected, but a lot of good people posted their thoughts.

On the surface it seems like a good idea to merely give someone a verbal warning. Calm and rationally say that they should cool down, and just censor the part of the posts. However thinking about it I see that people that are going to be aggressive and break the CoC are likely to do it willfully anyway. Warning them is not strict enough to get them to understand, and infracting them is enough to set them off further. As an example someone recently was very very rude to Matthew after a decision, and several warnings.

The only thing I see that can be done is enforce the CoC as you have been. I agree, though I wondered what your opinions on this were. Perhaps we can collaborate on a solution even.
    I echo what bodhi.zazen said. I also agree with your desired slow beginning. We tend to start off with simple, unofficial warnings when possible (it does take longer and sometimes we are pretty busy and have to go with the official infraction warning, which is a lot quicker). We have a general guideline for staff on how to approach issues and try to keep them from escalating. Unfortunately, as you note, that doesn't always work and doesn't always elicit a response in proportion to a gentle warning. And, bodhi.zazen is right, there are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes that we have records of that non-staff don't see that are sometimes major factors.

In any case, thank you for the encouraging words. The support is appreciated.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I just feel I crossed a line with this though. I really was wondering if I had any input that would help. I was not sticking my hands anywhere they were not supposed to be. Thank you for the responses. I should have been more clear.