Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mod bias and abuse 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mod bias and abuse 2

A small message to the mods.

You can't moderate people's opinions just because you don't agree with them.

whiskeylover received an infraction for making a comment about apple. I was on the thread at the time and noticed the post being removed. To be honest this was a bit harsh. It was only an attempt at humour, Some might think a successful attempt, some might not. Apple, Windows nor Linux, fanboyism doesn't help anyone in any way.

IN MY OPINION apple products are overpriced tat.
    Note the "MY OPINION".
    Many people agree with me. Many poeple don't. My opinion does not somehow make your opinion invalid. It is not a personal attack if I don't like exactly what you like.

All your going to achieve by moderating with a heavy hand is alienate people and drive them towards using other operating systems. Namely Microsoft Windows

Feel free to moderate my post.

Peace out PaulR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: mod bias and abuse 2

moved to RC which is the proper place for it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PaulReaver View Post
    A small message to the mods.

You can't moderate people's opinions just because you don't agree with them.

whiskeylover received an infraction for making a comment about apple. I was on the thread at the time and noticed the post being removed. To be honest this was a bit harsh. It was only an attempt at humour, Some might think a successful attempt, some might not. Apple, Windows nor Linux, fanboyism doesn't help anyone in any way.

IN MY OPINION apple products are overpriced tat.
    Note the "MY OPINION".
    Many people agree with me. Many poeple don't. My opinion does not somehow make your opinion invalid. It is not a personal attack if I don't like exactly what you like.

All your going to achieve by moderating with a heavy hand is alienate people and drive them towards using other operating systems. Namely Microsoft Windows

Feel free to moderate my post.

Peace out PaulR
    One person's heavy hand is another person's salvation. We get far more comments thanking staff for helping keep discussions here free from bullying and strong negativity than complaints about moderation. That isn't why we moderate, though.

We moderate, as clearly stated in our Forum CoC, to make this a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, to prevent drama, fights, and flame wars. There are hundreds of places on the internet where those are the norm and welcome. Feel free to participate in that sort of activity in those locations.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

@ PaulReaver one of the problems of jumping to conclusions without being in procession of all of the facts is you tend to jump right into a mistake.

Whiskeylover did not receive an infraction.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would have posted in the resolution center, but the moderator did not come down on me. They came down on "whiskeylover".

I wanted to bring this to peoples attention and receive feedback on other peoples interactions with the mods.
    In the resolution center only the mods and the author of the post in question, can post. And if not then I appologise for not putting it the correct place o' lord and master.

Double thumbs down? For sticking up for someones right to the freedom to have an opinion. Double thumbs down, indeed.

I don't need a moderator to tell me what to find offensive and what to find humourous. I can censor the internet fine myself, I'm a big boy now. thank you. What we do need a mod for is to make sure that there are no racial slurs, bigotted remarks or bullying going on in the forums, but if the mods are the ones throwing their weight around. Who do we get to moderate the moderators?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    @ PaulReaver one of the problems of jumping to conclusions without being in procession of all of the facts is you tend to jump right into a mistake.

Whiskeylover did not receive an infraction.
    then I sincerelly apologise.
    sorry.

but why were the posts removed?

Beans
    Distro

The overwhelming majority of forum members do not report seeing what you perceive to exist. It is also true that only a very tiny fraction of a percent ever receive a warning, and fewer still an infraction. I think those facts speak more than your accusations.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulReaver View Post
    then I sincerelly apologise.
    sorry.

but why were the posts removed?
    That was answered in his thread.

Beans

When you joined this Forum you were aware that it is a Moderated Forum. You are aware of the rules and you agreed to those rules.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To the best of my abilities I stick to ubuntu forum rules.
    I have no intention to go on forums to deliberately offend people.
    I have helped more people on ubuntu forums than have helped me.

My post was not about the infraction(or lack of one), it was about the heavy handed way that it was delt with, also the fact that by removing the post you removed his right to his opinion.

If you dispute my right to question your "Authority" then you dispute my right to freedom of speech as well.

why do you need more than one moderator to mobgang me. one mod per thread should suffice? should it not? or do you need back up? A quick link to the forum rules would be enough.
    two mods. heavy handed. again.

I'm going to see if I can fix someones ubuntu problem's elsewhere on this forum cause this is going nowhere.
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast