http://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en

Richard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Defender_of_Faith View Post
    I' ve heard, that even if you use TOR, your confidential information, f.e. passwords etc., run through other computers, so anyone can easily catch it and use it. So how the security should be considered in this situation?
    this is not really true. the NSA may be able to scrape your password as part of a focused sting, but honestly on what service isn't that true? there is nothing easy about the process you describe.

additionally when an app send a password, the connection should always be encrypted. you then pass that encrypted tunnel through a tor tunnel, and your data should remain safe (as safe as the apps cipher mechanism). any app that passes clear text credentials should be banned, so the encryption isn't really tor's job. Tor does have an encryption layer though, so usually your password would be double encrypted.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Would you use tor to go to a site that you go to with out tor? I would not. If I need to use tor any passwords that I use will always go through tor. In other words I am not going to the gmail account that I normally use through tor. I am going to set up another account with tor enabled. Gets kind of fun when the last server is in a place you do not know the language. I hope I am clear it seems sort of complicated but your tor use should always be seperate from your normal use. In fact I use a seperate operating system in a virtual box for using tor.

Beans

I' ve heard, that even if you use TOR, your confidential information, f.e. passwords etc., run through other computers, so anyone can easily catch it and use it. So how the security should be considered in this situation?
    Tor does NOT protect your data. It hides your IP address from anyone who can see your data. Anyone between or including the tor exit node and the server can see your traffic without tor encryption. This is why end-to-end SSL encryption is important.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will give you my thoughts on tor. It is a great resource but in my internet use I have no need for it. Neverless I installed it and learned to use it. You never know when you might be involved in a revolution and it could save you life.
    If I thought I needed it I would only use a virtual install and would probably use somebody elses Internet connection. That being said a little practice with it is time well spent but the bandwith should not be wasted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mkvnmtr, I think in our time the problem of privacy and personality is very actual. F.e., I don't want anyone to know where I am from... I mean I need confidentiality, but at the same time to be in safety, that's what I mean.
    agreed. anonymity is the most sure-fire way to protect your identity, and thus your safety.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    Have you read this?

http://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en

Richard
    Please note I didn't start this thread. The original question from defender-of-faith & his/her subsequent posts have vanished!!

Now that's what I call privacy!

Richard
    Last edited by Megaptera; April 7th, 2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling as usual.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    Please note I didn't start this thread. The original question from defender-of-faith & his/her subsequent posts have vanished!!

Now that's what I call privacy!

Richard
    You were responding to a spammer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ooops! Sorry 'bout that I didn't realise. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

no wonder this thread seemed weird
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"