Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulseaudio: Removed USB speakers now no sound

Beans

Pulseaudio: Removed USB speakers now no sound

I took out some USB speakers that had been working for many months because I needed them on another PC. I plugged the audio out (lime colored female connector on back of Ubuntu PC) into my stereo receiver's VCR audio in (Red and white jacks), no sound. Yes, the cable is fine (same cable I took off the other PC which was working fine), and the receiver is set to VCR.

I recall having to go through some hoops to get the USB speakers working way back when. The Pulseaudio volume control shows left and right pulsating bars when I have on Pandora, but sound is obviously not being sent to the right output. I also tried the optical audio out on the PC into the receiver's DSB optical in but again no sound.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Pulseaudio: Removed USB speakers now no sound

If on 9.10, you can try changing the output under gnome-volume-control, output tab. If not on 9.10, try installing pavucontrol package.

Beans

Not sure what gnome volume control is, I tried system preferences sound and wasn;t abel to change anything.

Also, I have PA Voume control. Wasn;t there a way to redirect the stream, left and right clicking on volume bar does nothing

Beans
    Distro

Well, gnome-volume-control can be accessed from either the speaker icon in the panel or System->Preferences->Sound. In 9.10, the settings are very similar to those of pavucontrol. Click the 'Output' tab and select an output destination from the drop down menu. For example, in my case there are two options, analog output and headphones. Not quite sure why right click on volume bars at all,

Beans

OK will try when I get home, if memory serves I only have digital stereo output option.

Here is the rear of the PC

http://zareason.com/shop/product.php...cat=249&page=1

I am plugged into the light green audio out in between the blue & red output jacks at the bottom. I had been plugged into USB.

Beans

On th eoutput tab there is only one choice (remember the USB speakers have been removed). It has a dot in the radio button and is entitled

Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)

Beans

When I set up the USB speakers I believe I had to change the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=3stack

I had to overwrite whatever was there model=xxxx with "3stack"

What was there? I have HDA nVidia sound card MCP79 and IEC958 shows up in alsamixer but no volume bars for anything at all, just blank alsamixer with sound card info.

Also, once I update /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I then have to shut down or restart alsa and/or pulseaudio, anyone know the sequenc eof commands?

Beans
    Distro

I've no idea what option was originally there, but you could reinstall alsa, which will overwrite the alsa-base.conf config file with the new one.

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

Beans

Excellent. I will try this.

I also wrote to Zareason and they provided me with the original alsa-base.conf file. Unfortuntely that file and /etc/modprobe.d are owned by root so I am having difficulty su'ing to root, no password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I'd hold off on removing that option line for a moment. Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:
    Code:
    uname -a
    aplay -l
    cat /proc/asound/version
    head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast