Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acer laptop backlight + KMS workaround

Beans

Re: Acer laptop backlight + KMS workaround

Works perfectly with Lenovo 3000 G430. Its got the same Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) chipset, so it made life easier for me.

I only have a few questions though...

* Does this workaround minimize battery consumption for my laptop (coz that's the primary reason I want to dim the backlight setting)

* Does continously monitoring the system level backlight value consume more battery than I save with the backlight dimmed; and

* Before using this workaround, I can still use the fn+up arrow, down arrow and see the brightness slider (though the screen doesn't brighten or dim when I use that, which led me to this thread in the first place). Is there a way to use the fn+arrow keys to change brightness setting with this workaround.

Still, this is an awesome workaround!

jlsm

Beans

You don't have to worry about the script consuming power, it only wakes CPU up TWICE a second to check if backlight brightness requested value has changed so the effect is essentially equal to zero.

Also the backlight Fn keys are supposed to work. If it doesn't, try type this manually in console (non root should be fine):

cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

and joggle the fn+backlight keys and do it again. If the value does not change, you need to see if there is any dir rather than "acpi_video0", perhaps your backlight is detected as acpi_video1 or something similar.

ls /sys/class/backlight

and see what are the names of the dirs in that path.

Once you get a working path name which reflects your real backlight level when pressing the fn keys, modify the thread code and replace this "acpi_video0" with your own and it should work then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Great workaround! good job!

Beans

Workaround works in emachines e525, but the bright controls are inverted.

Luis from uruguay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12