Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d acceleration in virtualbox

Beans
    Hidden!

3d acceleration in virtualbox

I use Windows 7 with Virtualbox in Ubuntu 9.10. The guest additions are installed but I don't get 3d acceleration (no aereo theme). I thought that was due to my graphic card (GeForce 7050) but I've just installed Ubuntu 10.4 with Virtualbox and does have 3d acceleration. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: 3d acceleration in virtualbox

Hm... Isn't there a menu-item for installing WineD3D, in the VM's menubar? How much graphics-memory have you given it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Warrior View Post
    Hm... Isn't there a menu-item for installing WineD3D, in the VM's menubar? How much graphics-memory have you given it?
    I use Virtualbox no VM. I don't have that item in my menu. I gave it 125 MB

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

bump!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by camaron1 View Post
    I use Windows 7 with Virtualbox in Ubuntu 9.10. The guest additions are installed but I don't get 3d acceleration (no aereo theme). I thought that was due to my graphic card (GeForce 7050) but I've just installed Ubuntu 10.4 with Virtualbox and does have 3d acceleration. Any ideas?
    Hi.

In the device manger of Win 7 check if the Virtualbox Graphics Adapter is installed correctly.

Just a thought. On the machine settings menu, is the 3d acceleration enabled?

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    Hi.

In the device manger of Win 7 check if the Virtualbox Graphics Adapter  is installed correctly.

Just a thought. On the machine settings menu, is the 3d acceleration  enabled
    Hi, Yes 3d is enabled in the settings but I will check Win 7 settings when I get home tonight.
    Thanks

Beans

You need to enable guest additions in virtualbox. To enable the 3d acceleration in Windows7, you need to boot it in safe mode and then run the installer exe. You can boot it in safe mode by holding f8 while booting.
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/v...st-addons.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    You need to enable guest additions in virtualbox. To enable the 3d acceleration in Windows7, you need to boot it in safe mode and then run the installer exe. You can boot it in safe mode by holding f8 while booting.
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/v...st-addons.html
    That is exactly what it is: I had come across that information too. Here is the problem: I can't access the virtual BIOS. Pressing f8 does nothing (I guess because the guest additions are not active while the system is booting so the keyboard for the virtual machine is not active , I don't know). Would you be able to tell me how to get round this issue? Help greatly appreciated.

Beans

Keep tapping f8 right after you click to load the virtual machine (ensure the virtual windows7 is the active window) until it goes into safe mode. It is not a bios you need but the normal Windows advanced boot menu. I only remember the f8 trick I am unsure if it was changed by Windows7, but I doubt it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Keep tapping f8 right after you click to load the virtual machine (ensure the virtual windows7 is the active window) until it goes into safe mode. It is not a bios you need but the normal Windows advanced boot menu. I only remember the f8 trick I am unsure if it was changed by Windows7, but I doubt it.
    Sure I've tried this many times, believing that if 20 taps didn't do then let's go for 30. I'm afraid it doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast