Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with pppoe connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Please ubuntu, take a look at this and fix this

Sorry I can't be more help in regards to configuring PPPoE. I have never worked with it and don't know much about it. You could try another distro, maybe Fedora or CentOS. I have heard good things about both in general but nothing about its compatibility with PPPoE.

As for what router to choose, generally any wireless router you get is going to work fine. The problem many linux users run into with wireless networking is the lack of drivers for some wireless cards in laptops namely Broadcom. The support for these wireless cards has improved recently and my wireless card has gone from no support in 7.10 to plug and play in 8.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is a n00b answer, so you probably should wait for others to have their say on this before you try... A little trip on Google got me these pages:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe - "PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) is a protocol used by many ADSL Internet Service Providers. Roaring Penguin has a free PPPoE client for Linux and Solaris systems to connect to PPPoE service providers."

Also found this: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/configure.html

And when I searched for pppoe in synaptic, I saw that there are some applications that are not installed by default. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can have a look at that list and suggest something .

Beans
    Hidden!

Well I'm struggling with this problem for 2 months and no fix
    So did it ever work like it is supposed to work?
    If so, then try doing a fresh install.

I would think if one time it worked, and now it does not then what has changed is a configuration file or some binary file.
    Can this Internet connection style work on a live CD?

perhaps this is helpful
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-set...10-karmic.html
    Last edited by sdowney717; April 5th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I could be wrong here, I often am.
    but if this is one cable simply being split to feed two computers, and the windows one is constantly on, couldnt there be a conflict here somewhere?
    and the windows PC(being as they are) is demanding full service, thereby closing down the connection to the Ubuntu system.
    my other thoughts would be with crosstalk, ie, windows trying to send a signal down the cable that is being pulled back into the ubuntu machine on the wrong wires(no crossover).
    just something for the more knowledgable members to ponder.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

What albert s said. If the fiber splits into two RJ-45s with no switch/router in the middle, then the two machines are conflicting. The Ubuntu machine would disconnect, but windows machines would quietly keep trying to control the connection. Basically the last machine to try to speak to the outside world would be the one to get the connection.
    --Superb--

Beans
    Hidden!

Since Ubuntu isn't playing nice with your connection, can you try using a router in between your computer and the splitter? This configuration would allow your router to control the PPPoE settings so your computers would not have to at all. This would be an easier setup and allow any device you connect to your router to almost be plug and play without the need for configuring PPPoE settings.
    I like this solution. If the router controlled the login and maintained the login, then the only thing that ubuntu does is use the ehternet IP supplied by the router.

Here is a type of DSL router
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTIONTEC-GT701-...item19bb1f3a5e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I like this solution. If the router controlled the login and maintained the login, then the only thing that ubuntu does is use the ehternet IP supplied by the router.
    It's not a solution, but rather a workaround. Hopefully someone with pppoe specific expertise sees this and will be able to provide relevant support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm still curious to see the solution (and perhaps also how the information that many have already asked from the original poster may finally help to reach that solution). Maybe that information could be provided after all? It might help, you never know. There are also other suggestions in this thread I would most defenitely try and have a closer look at.

I had PPPoe before and always had problems with it even in a Windows environment. From that experience, I at some point had a bit of a back-and-forth with the ISP helpdesk, who see from the other side what data came through and what not. In the end, they sold me a new splitter, and things were solved. To this date, I still don't understand why (as the splitter is - as I understand it - actually only needed to filter out the signal so that the phone would work). In that case, it wasn't the pc having trouble, but the wireless router. But in the end of the story: tech support from my ISP actually worked (took some time though).

I have upgraded (or better: updated) the connection and the router lately, and everything is super-smooth now.

If you want to try other distributions, if I were you, I would first go with a live cd - or more comfortable on a laptop: a live-usb, if you can get your BIOS to boot from usb. That way, you can easily and comfortably test a few and if they run, keep that setup until perhaps you are ready to install something permanent. I would try knoppix and puppy for sure - how to make a bootable usb stick from the live cd is explained on http://www.pendrivelinux.com/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you got it wrong because of my vague explications. As I told you I have a fiber optic cable, in my house. From there, I have a spliter, not a modem not a router, a spliter just like the one I posted above. From there the spliter splits the fiber optic cable into 2. One slot is for a telephone line and one is for a lan cable to plugin. I connect to the internet using that lan cable, nothing else, just that lan cable and a username and password for the pppoe connection. This thing hasn't worked before, I tried several times fresh installs, and still the problem persisted. You got it wrong and excuse me for my vague details. I don't have 2 separate machines working together on the same cable to cause a conflict. I just tried the linux laptop and then shut it down and worked on windows for a couple of days. So there can't be any conflict since the two machines don't run together on the same time and on the same connection. I will try and see other distributions. MY point in this topic is not to flame with everyone or to acuse the developers or something. I just want to try and fix together this issue so that others will not have such a pain working with pppoe. If I can tell you more, or there are things that you want me to configure in order to see if this works please don't hesitate to tell here or message me. I hope we will fix this!
    Thanks so much for all your support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

can you try this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...64&postcount=6
    Please backup the existing files for safety

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast