View Poll Results: Are you a Ubuntu Evangelist?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a closet ubuntu fan (I hide the live cd in my underwear draw)

18 26.87%
  • I share ubuntu with all my friends

49 73.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a Ubuntu Evangelist

Beans

Thumbs up Are you a Ubuntu Evangelist

I converted to Ubuntu about a year ago now, and the first thing I did once I discovered how good it was, was to share it with my family, once the whole household had converted I showed my friends. I have now helped over 20 people convert over to Ubuntu.
    It was easy just wait to they get done yet again by viruses and say to them "Just bring it around I will put on Ubuntu instead and you will never have a problem again"
    I love the fact everything is free and I feel the best way I can do my bit to help is show it to others.
    My wife now calls me the "Ubuntu Evangelist"
    now that Ubuntu has reached the magical 1% we have enough critical mass that if we all do our bit we can edge past osx to be the number in no time.

Are you a closet Ubuntu fan or a Ubuntu Evangelist?
    The guy who said "there is no such thing as a free lunch" must have been a windows user!

Beans

Re: Are you a Ubuntu Evangelist

I have only converted one person and it was to Fedora, oddly enough. I might see if she wants to switch over to Lucid when it comes out, though.

I tell people that I use it and that I like it. I don't tell them that they need to use it too. I probably mention Rockbox to people more frequently than Ubuntu, actually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

All I gotta say is damn you must be an exceptionally persuasive person. I've only successfully converted a handful of folks. Give me your secret dude!
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

LOL, way to bias a poll. The only way you could get more skewed results are like this-

I use ubuntu as a live because I like to look at pron sites so dodgy that windows would get syphilis
    or
    I share ubuntu with all my friends

Where is the option for 'I use xxxxx, I dont hide it, but I'm not trying to make any converts either'? If they want to use something different, they will, sooner or later.

BTW, I've got more than a few people to use various linux distros.....in part from the virus thing, but also because a liveCD is a great way to safely browse whatever site you want LMAO

Beans
    Hidden!

Neither.

Beans

I do not force Ubuntu on people however I do not make it a secret I use it. Anyone with computer troubles or a budget PC setup with modest needs I offer Ubuntu or Free Software to. I find that it is unfair to tell them it will be suitable for all their needs because the average person needs Windows.

I am not saying that Ubuntu or other GNU/Linux operating systems are not sufficient, far from it. It is merely the fact that they will fight to defend lacking rights and freedom because they are dependent on what they know. When something in Ubuntu is different, it tends to be 'wrong'. Even people who dislike Windows think it is the only thing that could possibly be reliable. Windows is just what computers are.

On the other side, quite a few people I know actually have asked me how to try it. The majority of those now use it full time since it suits their needs better. One friend of mine had a legacy machine that had previously been a server. It obviously was not suited for gaming despite having good specs for the time. It was easily enough to run Ubuntu, and a good reason for doing so was that the Windows 2000 Server they had installed did not allow them administrative access. The Gnome Games suite ended up being a big hit with them.

My point of all this is that evangelizing Ubuntu intentionally is wrong and causes enmity. The phrase 'If you build it they will come' is perhaps relevant. Users will gravitate to Ubuntu, they just have to know the choice is out there. They do not need to be preached, those who are curious will naturally attract to it. What I am saying here is not correct on all counts of course. However, through experience I know people are more open minded when they make the choice for themselves.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is a tricky one.

I showed my uncle how far Ubuntu has come, he tried Linux years ago and gave up as there were things neither of us could resolve. He now has it installed and I have shown him a few tips to make it do some things he was asking about. He is really impressed but made the choice himself to go for it.

My friend would really benefit from it as her laptop just strugles so much with Vista. She doesn't know her wireless router password so it holding back until she finds it.

My parents may benefit changing but I am not sure how to get their scanner working, once I do I will demonstrate it to them and let them decide. I would work around the issues but wouldn't expect them to.

I already gave my other friend a PC which I had installed Ubuntu onto for him.

So yeah I am keen to get these people upgraded but it's up to them really. Does this make me an evangelist? I'm not sure, facilitator would be a better word.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have spread the word of Ubuntu to quite some friends over the years, and it has been my fathers primary desktop system since 2006. The last few years, I haven't even had to help out with the installations, which is good since I live in another country.

I'm also doing my best to keep Ubuntu news posted on my site, but judging from the statistics, most people visiting the site are (unsurprisingly) already running it or other Linux distributions.

Beans

I suggest it to people who are looking for an alternative, but not to someone who's happy with what they've got.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gemmakaru View Post
    I showed my uncle how far Ubuntu has come...
    I posted about this a few weeks ago in the testimonials forum but it bears repeating here.

So my nephew gets a trojan, calls me up and says his computer is completely unusable. I'm thinking no big deal, we'll just boot into safe mode and run malwarebytes. Alas, the problem persists - can't run any programs including any browser, constant nagging to buy some removal tool, the usual crap.

So I went over there, booted the Live CD and brought up Nautilus and we could see all his drives and partitions. We quickly navigated to his windows user folder and found the folders he wanted recovered. We plugged in his brand new external drive, started the file transfer and then I asked him if he would like to check his GMail while the files were transferring. He'd been completely offline for about a week at this point.

He was like, "We're on the Internet right now?" I said sure, and brought up Firefox. By the time he was done handling his email and the files were done transferring, he was sold. "I want this," he said.

So we went ahead and did the full install. I set him up with 'restricted areas,' made sure everything (MP3, Flash, Java, codecs, etc.) was working and then we copied everything back from the Passport. While that file transfer was going, I gave him a short GNOME tutorial.

I could have rescued his files via the terminal or maybe Midnight Commander but why not give the person a little taste of the modern Linux Desktop? This is now my SOP for working on borked Windows systems in the future only now I have a thumb drive so it's always with me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast