Thread: Networking connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Networking connection

Hi

My DSL network connection is failing to connect after an upgraded from 8.1 to latest production build. I have tested the modem & ISP connection, they are fine.

Please advise any steps to fix or troubleshoot.

Looking in the syslog after failed attempt to connect it shows NetworkManager reporting

<WARN> pppd_timed_out(): Looks like pppd didn't initialize our dbus module

&

Marking connection 'ISP1' invalid

Under the ISP1 connection settings, I have tried All and one at a time of the PPP Settings 'Configure Methods'

I need to get the Internet established ugently so would welcome any suggestions.

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Networking connection

its DSL right ? well i dont know about that but i had that problem with mobile broadband and when i configure with google DNS it works fine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the sugggestion I tried entering a DNS Server (wasn't sure what to put in 'Search domains', and wasn't sure about the 'Routes' entry.

This used to work, what's broken it/how to fix?

Thanks

Beans

dude u r using dsl or pppoe??because if u r using pppoe then u gotta do pppoeconf to configure ur connection.and then pon dsl-provider to trigger it.plz clarify wat type of connection u use??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shikhar_sharma View Post
    dude u r using dsl or pppoe??because if u r using pppoe then u gotta do pppoeconf to configure ur connection.and then pon dsl-provider to trigger it.plz clarify wat type of connection u use??
    Hi, I'm using PPPOE which shows under the DSL tab. On 8.1 I didn't have to manually enter some config (just a/c & password), what config should I add?

Thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please, if anyone has any ideas about this please advise i urgently need to get this resolved. Thank you

Beans

ok all you need to do is go to terminal and type
    sudo pppoeconf
    this will bring up a wizard.follow the wizard and dont change any settings that u dont understand.just leave the default values.Then it will ask u for user name and password.after entering all the details you can trigger the connection by
    sudo pon dsl-provider
    and terminate the connection by
    sudo poff

Note:if you are using DHCP to get ur ip then this will work but if you have static ip then you need to create a connection in wired connection which by default is eth0.enter you ip over there manually and then connect with that connection.once it says connection established then trigger the pppoe connection.This was much easy in 8.1

anywayz enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You said you "upgraded" from 8.1. Did you install 9.10 from scratch, or did you upgrade 8.1 to 9.04 and then to 9.10?