Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to multiboot?

Beans

Re: How to multiboot?

There are several things to consider beefore you start your multi-boot installations.

Your drive is limited to 4 primary partitions. You will need to add an "extended" partition. This is a type of primary partition that you can install, in theory, and infinite number of "logical partitions". Plan this on paper before you start.

I would make all your partitions before starting installation using gparted from your 9.10 Live CD.

Fedora and Suse will install nicely with MS but will try to take over any Linux partitions. Make sure you check every partition in their installers to make sure only the partition(s) you want them installed on are marked for use and the others marked as "do not use".

Grub on your last (Ubuntu) installation should pick up your other OS'. There may be way too many generated entries however. You will probably need a custom menu for this to really work. This is not hard to set up and requires little or no upkeep when finished.

See the link in my sig for a basic over view of Grub. The second link that I give in that post is the very best in depth study of Grub you will find.

You need to know this stuff if you are going to multi boot.

It is a lot of FUN. I am on a drive, right now with 12 installed and working OS' all booted from grub1.98 (from 10.04-testing).
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

gr8 info thanks guys, will try multibooting over the weekend and get back to y'all. also i can put in karmic and lucid in the multiboot list right?
    I like to keep it respectful with OpenRespect
    I write at The Void Ghost and 2buntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nitstorm View Post
    gr8 info thanks guys, will try multibooting over the weekend and get back to y'all. also i can put in karmic and lucid in the multiboot list right?
    I am not sure what you mean by that. If you mean can you have more than on Ubuntu the answer is yes.

I have, right now, seven variations of 10.04 on this drive (test platform), one 8.04, one Mandriva2009-1 and 2 variations of 9.10.

As long as you are using an extended partition the only real limit is the size of your drive(s) and the amount of space you want each OS to have.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

yeah my question was exactly that, if i could have more than one ubuntu on my machine great, will get down to it soon and post on how it went by tomorrow thanks guys

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: How to multiboot?

i put in open suse on the primary partition and then fedora on a logical, i got this error message
    no bootable device found - insert boot disk and press enter

i thought putting in ubuntu karmic and the grub2 will detect everything and sort the issue out , but even then i had the same error, so i put in lucid beta 2 and still the same error
    now in a live cd session and tried running sudo update-grub, but this is the error i get
    "grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /. "

here is the output of my sudo fdisk -l:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xe603e603

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1        2611    20972826   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2            2612       19456   135307432    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            2612        5222    20972826   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6            5223        7833    20972826   83  Linux
    /dev/sda7   *        7834       10444    20972826   83  Linux
    /dev/sda8           10445       10705     2096451   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda9           10706       10836     1052226   83  Linux
    /dev/sda10          10837       19456    69240118+  83  Linux
    sda1 - openSUSE
    sda7 - fedora 12
    sda6 - karmic
    sda5 - lucid beta 2

this is the order i installed them in.
    Please help me boot !!!

P.S: there was a install bootloader option ticked by default during fedora installation and i just went ahead with it. is it the cause of this problem??? just wanted to let you know about it...

Beans
    Distro

would this be solvable if i just remove fedora, i.e., delete its partition altogether????????

Beans
    Distro

ok so i reinstalled fedora 12 on /dev/sda1 and so the bootloader is in a primary partition now but fedora 12 uses just grub by default, anyone want to help me update the grub in f12? anyone please????

i mean update to grub2????

Beans
    Distro

Ok guys, I finally have understood multibooting, right now running two Lucids , one karmic and a fedora 12. didnt know how to upgrade from grub to grub2 on f12 so jus installed lucid there.

Thanks everyone for ur help

Beans

I have been off line most of the day (problem with ISP server downtown).

There is no need to update grub in Fedora. Fedora is just a bugger. To boot to it you will probably need a custom menu entry for it.

I think there may be a working one in;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

I have an install of Mandriva on here and os-prober now almost gets it right but not quite. The custom entry does the job with no problem. It is in the first post on the link in my sig.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have grub2 as the standard in one of your partitions you just have to reinstall it like you would after a window boot loader overwrites it. Distributions with old grub can have grub installed to the partition and chainbooting will work but that becomes a custom entry.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast