Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cheap ARM netbook?

Beans

Smile Re: Cheap ARM netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Wonder how a minimal Debian ARM install with Openbox will run on it?

I think you should try
    yeah i`ve been trying to tinker with it, but it`s not quite straight forward, as there`s no bios and no real hd, just a flash drive.

apparently it can, in theory, be flashed, and i`ve been trying to figure that out.

hopefully, if i`m stubborn enough, and lucky enough, i`ll crack the little devil
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cheap ARM netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by freechelmi View Post
    You should check this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...70&postcount=7

Ubuntu support ( still with some blobs) keeps getting better

It's 250$ in Europe
    Obviously your responding to my post, so I assume you know what it said. I will reiterate again, the Toshiba ac100 is not a valid option.

BTW...
    when you see 250$ in Europe, They are not referring to US Dollars.
    Considering this net book was designed for the UK, they mean British pounds!
    (FYI that would be approx 400$, and regardless I believe that is an inaccuracy.)

I don't feel like going over the multiple reasons again.
    If you need more reasons why "the search continues" reread both my previous posts.
    Last edited by TechZilla; October 16th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

@angry_johnnie, that's exactly what I was talking about! Some cheepy with an arm processor, that can boot Debian. And the one guy posted the eBay link, shows android netbooks. But Linux support, that is what we need to see.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Cheap ARM netbook?

I'm getting so sick of my current netbook, I really want the long-life of an ARM based SoC. All those stupid hardware magazines promised me I'd have one by now, THEY PROMISED ME!!!

Beans

I'm reading this post on my Efika MX by Genesi.

it's $199, has lots of nice features.

Performance is pretty good if you're not treating it like a PC.

What I mean is for focused tasks (browsing one page at a time) it works well.
    Trying to read 2+ tabs at the same time, (and other multi-tasking gymnastics) it will slow down painfully. I'm not a hardware expert but I believe it's a combination of the low memory and the software's interaction.

Another thing, Genesi provided a "modified" ubuntu 10.04 that comes with some default software. You may add other things, I've added a lot of my prefered programs.
    However, take VLC it will play audio but video locks up with some sort of sync issue. Meanwhile the default movie-player works just fine. I'm not sure if the movie-player was tweaked to "work" or if there is a major difference in how they manage video.

over all I'm happy with the little guy, I wanted something that would let me tool-around on the computer even when I was away from home or just away from my desk.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by r+9 View Post
    I'm reading this post on my Efika MX by Genesi.

it's $199, has lots of nice features.

Performance is pretty good if you're not treating it like a PC.

What I mean is for focused tasks (browsing one page at a time) it works well.
    Trying to read 2+ tabs at the same time, (and other multi-tasking gymnastics) it will slow down painfully. I'm not a hardware expert but I believe it's a combination of the low memory and the software's interaction.

Another thing, Genesi provided a "modified" ubuntu 10.04 that comes with some default software. You may add other things, I've added a lot of my prefered programs.
    However, take VLC it will play audio but video locks up with some sort of sync issue. Meanwhile the default movie-player works just fine. I'm not sure if the movie-player was tweaked to "work" or if there is a major difference in how they manage video.

over all I'm happy with the little guy, I wanted something that would let me tool-around on the computer even when I was away from home or just away from my desk.
    Yeah, but think of it this way--I have my original Atom n270 eeepc from 3 years ago that will easily run xfce + compiz. I paid $160.

Beans

Nice deal on the atom book.

One other thing I neglected to mention is the Efika is 100% silent, there isn't at all. I'm not sure what sort of battery performance you get on the Atom.

I've noticed that "moderate" use floats about 4-5W on a 30Wh battery. it gets around 5.5 hours of constant use.

Playing a video over the wireless gets up to 5.5W as a "heavier" load.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345