Beans

New Server Setup

I have a Dell at home I want to turn into a small file server
    specs
    CPU: P4 2.0ghz
    RAM: 768MB DDR (idk clock speed sorry)
    HDD: ~250 gigs
    GPU: ATI Radeon 9700 pro

my goal with this is to be able to access the files from both my Windows and Linux Boxes from wherever I am in a secure method. (hence if I am at my friends place and I want to access my server to pull up images or documents and be able to file transfer)
    I have never set up a file server before so I am completely lost on all security protocol and file settings (I am also not a terminal guru), I am used to having a GUI. The server will be connected via wireless (WPA2 AES) to my Netgear router.

Any help, advice, or links to guides would be extremely welcomed. I am very new to servers, but I have run Ubuntu/Mint/Fedora for about 2 years now. I am just starting networking classes in college right now so I know a bit and I am very eager to learn more.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by keljaden; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New Server Setup

Awesome. Well, a good start for file sharing is going to be Samba. I use that for all the Windows & Linux boxes that I have in my home. The guide on the Ubuntu home site for setting up different things is pretty good. The section for Samba will be worth your checking out (link).

For over the internet, you have a bunch of options. You can use scp over ssh or setup a site & use a PHP file manager. I use the latter & have no issues (though I did run into file permissions issues at first).

You may want to think about wiring your server into your router. Wireless is inherently slower than wired. I think it will depend on what you are going to use the server for, but it is something to keep in mind. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

~John
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    ~Linus Torvalds (1996-10-16)

Beans

Smile Re: New Server Setup

I am in almost the same situation as you except I just got two up and running. I used Ubuntu 9.04 Server Ed I386. From the iso file I downloaded through Windows and burned, I was able to do a clean boot, follow the on-screen prompts and have a solid server. You'll be prompted during the install to include Samba file server as one of the options. After that, you just need to install a desktop for human life to be easy.

Beans

my up speed (like 150kbps) is not faster than my wifi speed (108mbps) so I am not too worried about having it wired. What security wise, I need everything to be nice and safe. I know nothing is 100% perfect, but I would like to get close if possible. and thanks for the replies. I am getting everything planned out as I am wait for 10.04 to be released before I install as it is the LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you're concerned about security first and foremost, I'd advise against having it done via wireless.

Reliability over a wireless medium is a bit challenging in some environments.
    Postfix problems? Come find me in #postfix on the freenode IRC network.

Beans

Over the internet? Use SSH. There is no substitute. Unless you are a masochist and want your machine hacked of course.

Beans

sftp will do it fine over internet.