Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PART 1: Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PART 1: Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM.

Can any body tell me how to change or Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM. in ubuntu 10.04.

is this tutorial for 10.04?
    Can any body try it on 10.04?
    it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Grub Customizer
    http://launchpad.net/grub-customizer...zer_2.1.tar.gz

Python GDM2 Note: You may have to install xsplash via synaptic if the back ground wont change !
    http://launchpad.net/gdm2setup/0.2/0...-gdm2setup.deb

Manage Plymouth Splash with Zorin plymouth splashscreen manager
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=134231

To customize you own Plymouth Splash from an existing one.
    1 open home folder, navigate filesys/lib/plymouth/themes
    2 copy and past the plymouth you want to customize, to where ever you want,desktop,etc.
    3 open the ( or any ) image from the Plymouth with Gimp and change to your liking !
    4 Change the name of you new Plymouth in the .plymouth file as well as the file itself and the name of the folder
    Note: you can also change the animations, Placement,size,etc., in the YOURNEWSPLASH.scipts file if you feel you are experienced enough ! And if it has one ! like solar is a .so file and I have not found how to adjust it as yet !

To change an existing Plymouth WITHOUT having to reinstall !
    in terminal
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    and follow the above steps !
    To install a new Plymouth splash Manually

1 Open terminal in the place that holds the new Plymouth splash, Example
    $ cd downloads
    2 enter these commands one at a time !
    Code:
    sudo cp -R YOURSPLASHNAME/ /lib/plymouth/themes/
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/YOURSPLASHNAME/YOURSPLASHNAME.plymouth 100
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    here, choose the number of the theme you want to use then hit enter

Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Download , untar, make executable, place in your home folder, The Test (boot.sh) I have provided. If all went as planed you should see your new Plymouth with out having to reboot !

If anyone can add to this or find something i missed please feel free to add your findings !
    This is what I do on all my custom ISO's via Remastersys !
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/rema...l.deb/download

I dont in any way mean to take away from this Great! Tut ! just adding to it !
    Attached Files Attached Files
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adeee View Post
    Can any body tell me how to change or Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM. in ubuntu 10.04.

is this tutorial for 10.04?
    Can any body try it on 10.04?
    it works?
    You can customize Grub and GDM in 10.04 acccording to the tutorial. Unfortunately, Xsplash and Usplash were replaced with Plymouth in 10.04 and above.

Someone sent me this link to customizing Plymouth. I have not even looked at it because I still use 9.10. Hope it helps you.

http://brej.org/blog/?cat=16

If you would really like to theme Grub extensively, that a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1534689

Beans

Smile Re: PART 1: Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM.

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    I see the file has been downloaded 85 times. Anyone care to post any comments or remarks? I am thinking of expanding it to include Lucid and Plymouth. I would like to know whether there's enough interest in it before I invest any time into it.

Thanks.
    I will be sure to keep up with this as I have the subject now bookmarked, so please... do go on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey Towheedm I know it has been said a few times already but I want to reiterate that this document is really outstanding work. Thanks for all the time you have put into it. I have tried a few times to change different parts and can only get one or two small items changed. Most of the configuration widgets have not worked all that well for me. I am going to try run through the whole thing on Meerkat over the weekend. If I get to it I will post my comments on this thread.

Beans

Could you say what did not work? Things have changed considerably in Maverick and so some of the customizations may not work as expected. When I wrote this, Maverick was not even code-named as yet.

For instance, running gconftool-2 as the user 'gdm' does not work as stated in the document anymore. It has to be done differently.

I have only just switched from Karmic to Maverick and am now looking at these changes to include in a new release.
    The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2 is here.

Beans
    Distro

As I have been reading up on editing the boot screens it seems like what I need to edit in Meerkat is Plymouth.

Beans

Check out post #33 above.

Beans
    Distro

OK...grab some popcorn because this is longer than I would have thought it would be:

...after working on this for more than I should have this weekend (wasting my time according to my wife) here are the results:
    1) grub...text changes did not work. I was actually really looking forward to having the green text on black background for some reason. Maybe showing my age :^0
    2) Plymouth is working. I have an Nvidia card this is somewhat problematic with Plymouth. this is what did the trick:
    * edit grub:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    edit this line with your default screen size:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
    * edit your grub header
    sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/00_header
    add set gfxpayload=keep just below the line containing fxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE} it is about 100 or so lines down. use the find command save yourself the trouble of counting lines.
    *update grub with these changes
    sudo update-grub

I also downloaded plymouth manager and the solar theme although I did not need the manager. I found how to change it in the terminal. However, now that I have manager I did not save the terminal commmand (stupid me )

Finally, I changed my graphic for the GDM log in. I found this kind of interesting. GDM is kind of like it's own user. I used a command to set it up so it loads the theme manager automatically at the login screen then once I had it setup I logged in, turned the auto theme manager display off One mistake I made was I found the boot screen I wanted and left it on my desktop. Then I logged out and used theme manager to link the graphic I logged in, ran the script to turn theme manager off at log in and then deleted the file thinking it was saved in the GDM user's hidden profile. Not the case...I had go back and set it all up again.
    Here are the commands and process I used.
    1) turn on theme manager:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

2) log out.
    3) change your theme
    4) log in and turn off theme manager
    sudo rm /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

I looked at a lot of sites...the ones that I pulled these commands off of were:
    Plymouth:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-t...th-nvidia.html
    GDM:
    http://www.techytalk.info/2011/02/ub...eme-wallpaper/
    I hope this helps some others out there!

Beans

looking forward to having the green text on black background for some reason. Maybe showing my age
    Guess we are about the same age dude. My terminal which sits on my desktop permanently is always set to green text on black background, sometime if I reminisce about vt240 I set it to blue text.

No need to edit 00_header for GFXPAYLOAD, if using Maverick, add this line to /etc/default/grub:

Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep.
    To change Plymouth theme from the command line:

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    I have no idea why people continue to make things seem so difficult to change in Linux, especially the background image in GDM. It's on Pg 23 of the tutorial:

Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "/dir/filename"
    where /dir/ must be an absolute path, not a relative one. For example:

Code:
    /home/towheed/Documents/
    and not:
    Code:
    ~/Documents/
    And /filename must include the filename's extension. The file type can be either png, jpg or svg.

Again, it's all in the tutorial.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234