Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PART 1: Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM.

Beans

Re: PART 1: Customizing the graphics in Grub, Usplash, Xsplash and GDM.

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    I see the file has been downloaded 85 times. Anyone care to post any comments or remarks? I am thinking of expanding it to include Lucid and Plymouth. I would like to know whether there's enough interest in it before I invest any time into it.

Thanks.
    There most certainly is. It would be a welcome guide that I would sorely love to link to people asking these same questions about 10.04. So far, the best I've been able to do is get some folks using the gdm2setup utility. While that works well for 9.10, in spite of being incomplete, in 10.04 the only thing it will do is change the greeter and icons themes and disable the user list. Better than nothing.

It is unfortunate that customizing has been made so difficult in 9.10 and even more so in 10.04. Your efforts are highly appreciated.

Addendum: Apparently Ubuntu Tweak is more effective than gdm2setup for some of these customizations in 10.04
    Last edited by warfacegod; May 19th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I see the file has been downloaded 85 times. Anyone care to post any comments or remarks? I am thinking of expanding it to include Lucid and Plymouth. I would like to know whether there's enough interest in it before I invest any time into it.

Thanks.
    I would like a tutorial on plymouth on 10.04
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

This is great! I wanted to add shadows to the login window, and it worked fine. However, I came across a strange bug. After editing the comiz settings for user gdm, logging out and logging in as me again, some settings from the user are applied to my user too. The font size for window titles were much bigger, but that was an easy fix. More difficult was to change the window control buttons back to the left :S I was unable to start ubuntu tweak as user gdm, and the setting is still on the left for user [me], but they are showing on the right, as for user gdm although I am logged in as myself so strange!

Edit: oh nevermind, I solved it by launching sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconf-editor and editing the metacity keys. But anyway, the settings for user gdm still applies to me, so I guess the bug is still up
    Last edited by KlavKalashj; May 23rd, 2010 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KlavKalashj View Post
    This is great! I wanted to add shadows to the login window, and it worked fine. However, I came across a strange bug. After editing the comiz settings for user gdm, logging out and logging in as me again, some settings from the user are applied to my user too. The font size for window titles were much bigger, but that was an easy fix. More difficult was to change the window control buttons back to the left :S I was unable to start ubuntu tweak as user gdm, and the setting is still on the left for user [me], but they are showing on the right, as for user gdm although I am logged in as myself so strange!

Edit: oh nevermind, I solved it by launching sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconf-editor and editing the metacity keys. But anyway, the settings for user gdm still applies to me, so I guess the bug is still up
    I did not notice this at the time of writing the tutorial because my gdm effects and themes were the same as my desktop. The problem may be in the compiz.desktop file. One workaround may be to restart the compiz daemon after entering your login credentials. Thanks for the info, I'll make some time to try and figure it out. Please post back if you solve it before me.

Quote Originally Posted by k33bz View Post
    I would like a tutorial on plymouth on 10.04
    That was my next project. Unfortunately for me, I have an nViidia card which just refuses to work with the Nouveau drivers despite my best efforts. Anyway I preferred my 3d desktop so I reverted to the proprietary driver.

So I guess I'll wait until it's fixed or I'll have to replace my nVidia card. So sad the devs decided on this driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC35 View Post
    hey, I was wondering how to disable the splash screens when Ubuntu loads.In the pdf I see it shows the files here '/usr/share/images/xsplash/' but I don't see any images there.
    Not a huge issue, but just want to be rid of it so it looks like it goes from POST straight thru to the Ubuntu desktop.

oh btw, interesting PDF file, will go thru it more when I can get my reader to zoom in beyond 400%. I use my TV as a monitor and PDF's are a bit hard to see on here for some reason.
    You can disable the xsplash by removing the following lines from the /etc/gdm/Init/Default and /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default files:

Code:
    if [ -x '/usr/bin/xsplash' ];
    then
            /usr/bin/xsplash --daemon
    fi
    This would prevent the daemon from loading.

As for usplash, it can be disabled using a run-level editor such as boot-up manager. have not actually tried it, but it should work.

Trying to remove either packages would effectively remove the entire ubuntu-desktop package.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That was my next project. Unfortunately for me, I have an nViidia card which just refuses to work with the Nouveau drivers despite my best efforts. Anyway I preferred my 3d desktop so I reverted to the proprietary driver.

So I guess I'll wait until it's fixed or I'll have to replace my nVidia card. So sad the devs decided on this driver.
    Ok, Sounds good, please keep me updated on that portion
    Our only ignorance is our own intelligence
    Linux Is not Windows | Atheros 5007 Wifi Chipset Hardy (8.04LTS) Install|
    Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065

Beans

Will certainly do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KlavKalashj View Post
    This is great! I wanted to add shadows to the login window, and it worked fine. However, I came across a strange bug. After editing the comiz settings for user gdm, logging out and logging in as me again, some settings from the user are applied to my user too. The font size for window titles were much bigger, but that was an easy fix. More difficult was to change the window control buttons back to the left :S I was unable to start ubuntu tweak as user gdm, and the setting is still on the left for user [me], but they are showing on the right, as for user gdm although I am logged in as myself so strange
    OK, so I checked and checked and came up with this workaround for the compiz bug.

Rename the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample file:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
    Add the following line to the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default file:
    Code:
    gtk-window-decorator --replace &
    I will add this workaround to the PDF file.

Beans

First I just want to say thank you for this guide. It is exactly what I was looking for. I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu both and so one of the first things I've been wanting to do was customize it and make it look how I wanted it to look. Its nice to have all this info in one place, and nicely laid out and formatted.

Now I have a question.

I know your guide was for Karmic, but I'm running Lucid (10.04) since it was latest release when I decided to give Ubuntu a try. I got through the Grub part of your tutorial fine. All the files are still in the same location and named the same as they are in your tutorial. I'm ready to work on my xsplash screen now, but I can not find the directory @ /usr/share/images/xsplash. I searched around a bit, and even tried the search function to look for 'xsplash' but I couldn't find anything. Any idea where the xplash directory might be?

Thanks again for the work you put into this!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xmmp View Post
    First I just want to say thank you for this guide. It is exactly what I was looking for. I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu both and so one of the first things I've been wanting to do was customize it and make it look how I wanted it to look. Its nice to have all this info in one place, and nicely laid out and formatted.

Now I have a question.

I know your guide was for Karmic, but I'm running Lucid (10.04) since it was latest release when I decided to give Ubuntu a try. I got through the Grub part of your tutorial fine. All the files are still in the same location and named the same as they are in your tutorial. I'm ready to work on my xsplash screen now, but I can not find the directory @ /usr/share/images/xsplash. I searched around a bit, and even tried the search function to look for 'xsplash' but I couldn't find anything. Any idea where the xplash directory might be?

Thanks again for the work you put into this!
    Thanks for the nice comments. XSplash has been completely removed in 10.04 and USplash was replaced with Plymouth. The GDM customization should work fine though. Read the post above yours if you're going to add Compiz to the GDM as it is not yet included in the PDF document.
    Last edited by towheedm; June 2nd, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast