Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting for the Perfect 10.10 with Maverick Meerkat

Beans

Re: Shooting for the Perfect 10.10 with Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    If I sell a Windows computer, I make a small profit on the hardware, more profit on the OS and a lot of profit on addition software. If I sell Linux computer, I make a small profit on the hardware. Ouch!
    In the same way, printer manufacturers make their profits on consumables. Retailers have no incentive to sell computers loaded with free software, and that is where Widows scores over Linux.
    This is true in a way but if you sell a computer with free software on it you make more profit on the hardware because you can charge more for it. Like this

If you were buying a computer and you saw one for $600, and one for $400 with exact same hardware what will you buy, duh the $400 computer. What you don't know is the hardware only cost the retailer $300 and with microsoft installed it cost him $500. When more people buy the $400 computer the retailer makes more on Ubuntu.

On another note yman this is genus, with the only exception being point #2. If you marketed every relese to the general public then Ubuntu would be seen as up to date, opposed to windows and mac releasing every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    Plan for popularity:
    1. Create a storefront for pre-installed Ubuntu machines from partner OEMs. Customers would be able to search for, customize, and purchase machines pre-installed with Ubuntu all in one place. Idea #9193: Links to OEM Vendors on the website.

2. Start marketing Ubuntu to the general population around the release of the next LTS (not Lucid). Market non-LTS releases as releases for technology enthusiasts and LTS releases for regular users. Build brand recognition among the general population.

3. Get popular software to be ported to Ubuntu.

4. Get Ubuntu machines to be sold in regular stores both physical and online.

Ubuntu needs to be something more positive and well defined than "Linux for human beings". If Windows is for work and Macintosh is for multimedia, then what is Ubuntu for? That question is the one that requires an answer. It can't be games, as that's one of the main weaknesses. It can't be the web, because everyone already does that just as well. Just price alone doesn't mean a thing. Ubuntu needs to fill the needs of a niche that is defined or dominated by Linux enthusiasm. Before it can do that, it needs to know what that niche is exactly.
    I could not agree more my friend

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mooserider2 View Post
    This is true in a way but if you sell a computer with free software on it you make more profit on the hardware because you can charge more for it. Like this

If you were buying a computer and you saw one for $600, and one for $400 with exact same hardware what will you buy, duh the $400 computer. What you don't know is the hardware only cost the retailer $300 and with microsoft installed it cost him $500. When more people buy the $400 computer the retailer makes more on Ubuntu.

On another note yman this is genus, with the only exception being point #2. If you marketed every relese to the general public then Ubuntu would be seen as up to date, opposed to windows and mac releasing every 2 years.

I could not agree more my friend
    So true indeed.

Ubuntu NEEDS to get big companies on-boar with making software for them. With this they can appeal to ALL generations, kids who want games, grandparents who want photos etc. Since Ubuntu needs a niche, why not fill all of them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And after all these wonderful improvements we still will only be able to watch 10 minutes of a DVD before the screen goes Blank. apparently if you are willing to give up power management completely then u can watch movies. is that really the solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Install Caffeine. It allows you to temporarily turn off the screen saver function that blanks the screen.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by bryce203 View Post
    And after all these wonderful improvements we still will only be able to watch 10 minutes of a DVD before the screen goes Blank. apparently if you are willing to give up power management completely then u can watch movies. is that really the solution?

Beans

No major complaints . But I would like to see a bit more work on WiFi . Mine worked out of the box on 9.10 - broken on 10.04 - hopefully working again on 10.10 (not holding my breath though)
    Wifi just seems to be very "hit and Miss"
    Ubuntu forum members said "If I am unhappy with Unity there are many other options " True - I changed to another Distro - problem solved !
    I found I need neither Unity nor Ubuntu !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As said earlier it is all about games , bring in more games and you will have more Linux adopters , and yes we have made big strides to make Ubuntu faster and more user friendly , what I expect is major trend towards Linux and floss as general , Lucid was a big victory really (I was able to install it on almost 40 PCs now and the count is going on all satisfied all of these machines were business oriented kind of people that don't care about games ) , but Maverick Ubuntu anticipated 10.10 is decisive either we make or we break it let it be faster more friendly and social and gamers are welcome to bring in the mass

Beans
    Hidden!

I would like to say that one thing I liked is the new hardware support in 10.10.
    I found I could not run 9.10 or 10.04 on this machine, as it was not supported by any kernel lower than 2.6.35-rc1 (yes I understand 10.10 is still in alpha). Just keep up the good work and cutting edge improvements.
    Visit My Wolf's Den Here:
    http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswswlb/

Beans

My Ubuntu experience and advice.

Last fall I installed Ubuntu Karmic only on my machine. Recently I've had to add Win 7 in a dual boot config with Lucid. Ubuntu is faster at everything. I watch movies and music vids using VLC. The internet is even faster. But I still need windows to play Civ BTS (the only game I play), so my wife can chat using the webcam (colorvis), and now so I can print with my Lexmark x1270. I don't want Windows on my machine.

Somehow Ubuntu has to become fully usable. Whether it's drivers or software written for Linux. Also if I've correctly understood what I've read in this thread Ubuntu should most definitely work with touch screens and voice recognition. A touch screen or voice driven user interface would be super cool. Why not push the technology?

My advice for perfection is to try to solve the old problems that force me to dual boot and look to the future with features that anticipate technology and social connection possibilities. Just playing catch-up, and (correctly IMHO) chastising driver and software makers isn't quite enough.

Great work and the highest kudos to everyone working on this project. I hope I've been helpful. Build it and they will come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx now for ~ 1 month. These are the things I'd like to see:

Big Picture:
    - I'm a visual person, so the more I can use GUIs instead of CLIs the happier I am with the product. I don't dislike CLIs, I just don't understand alot of the commands yet. I feel like this is a major anchor preventing users from just ditching linux after their first experience.

- DVD + Blu-ray support: I know this is a complicated issue. It will be nice once it's available!
    - Games: again, not a simple issue, but hopefully it'll get better over time.
    - Media devices: phones, music/video players like ipods, etc. Obviously better support = better experience. I hate that I can't sync my ipod anymore.

Individual Program Improvements:
    - I ditched Rhythmbox for Banshee because Rhythmbox would not automatically copy music files I play to my library (like what iTunes does). Neither of them will sync with my 4th gen iPod nano though. That would be MOST excellent if it would sync!
    - Skype - still suffering from black menu bugs. Doesn't shut down and remove its process correctly sometimes. Still it's awesome that it's being worked on for linux again. Would be nice to see screen sharing and file transfer abilities put in (the windows version has these features).
    - F-Spot: the only thing I don't like is the changes are permanent, no option to undo or revert

Things done well:
    - Empathy messenger w/ bundled client support!
    - Themes - really pretty
    - Software center
    - Ubuntu One DRM free music, cloud storage

My $0.02. Long live Ubuntu!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123