Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Login Keyring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Login Keyring

Whenever I boot up my computer, Ubuntu (10.4) brings me to my desktop, then immediately displays a prompt to enter my login keyring. After some searching on the forums, it appears that this is because I set my laptop to auto-login.

Am I missing something here, but what does auto-login have to do the the keyring? Why do I even need to enter that password? I understand that many Ubuntu users are picky about security, but why isn't their any option to disable this? It's almost as bad as UAC from Vista, which is one of the reasons I'm dual-booting Ubuntu in the first place.

This is an annoying "problem" that has been bugging me since I first installed Ubuntu - how can I change it?
    Dual Boot - Windows 7 64-bit Premium Edition & Ubuntu 10.10
    3 GB RAM, 2.1 Ghz AMD Athlon II Dual Core, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

Beans

Re: Login Keyring

this has nothing to do with auto login. the keyring is most likely for a secured wireless connection, just set the keyring password to be blank.

you can change the password with this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...09&postcount=4
    OR
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...43&postcount=7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can disable it. It's to allow nm-applet to run. When you first connected to the network ubuntu would've asked you to set a keyring password. Third time around i left it blank and it doesn't ask me for one anymore. Don't know how to disable it off the top of my head but I'm sure i can find out

[edit]

I got beaten to it, but I'll leave my post up anyway

Beans

i am trying to get my keyring password also but tells me the file is of a unknown type? What else could i try?

Beans

hey, guys i am using Ubuntu 10.04 , I encountered the same problem. I think the simplest way is to go to

Applications>Accessories>Password and encryption keys.

The Password and encryption keys window will open , you can rright click on the "Passwords:login" select last option "change password" and change it..... i.e. make it same as your login password. I did that and its not asking for the keyring password now!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You can also delete the Login keyring from the context menu. This is what you need to do if you've forgotten (or don't remember ever setting) the login keyring password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Login Keyring

I don't like the new version. When using Firefox quite often the scroll bar won't work and also quite often freezes up totally. You then have to wait a while to let it unfreeze itself. Anybody any ideas whats going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OOPs! Wrong Topic! Shouldn't have posted previous comment here!

Beans

Hello,

just to say that copying the password in the login section didn't help. But it seems I have a different problem linked to Ubuntu One: When I unchecked my computer in Ubuntu One I don't get the password request right after login, but after a strat of Firefox. There should be no connection to the netwqork manager, as this doesn't happen when I download mails via Thunderbird.

Peter Wagner

Beans

This thread is pretty old, but it doesn't ever really address the problem. At log in, but also periodically when the system is up, I get a request for my "login keyring'. I left the system set up with no pass word log in (i.e. auto log on). Can I get rid of this annoyance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast