Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04/VirtualBox no USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04/VirtualBox no USB

This is getting a little confusing.

The gist of the replies above seems to be that all the features in VirtualBox work OK when it is run as root. However, this has got to be a hack at best. It doesn't seem a good idea to me to be running an application like this as root over an extended time, particularly if running a Windows guest OS which has the ability to connect to the internet.

I can only say again that my experience was that USB support worked when running as root, but I then found that it would work after that as a normal user. I'm using VirtualBox as a normal user, just running from the menu and it's working properly. I'm not now running anything as root, and not running hald. I'm only using this for USB storage devices, I can't comment on USB printing as I don't have this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just to add my 2 cents ... I was running VirtualBox 3.1.6 PUEL on Ubuntu 9.10 64bit that I just upgraded to 10.04RC, haven't modified anything and USB is still working fine

Edit: but I found that hald is running by default on my system
    Last edited by artofsnow; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With a fresh install of Lucid I also have no USB printer in VirtualBox (its there but greyed out. I've tried everything.
    However as several users have posted I can run and install VirtualBox as root (gksudo) and the printer is available. Something is obviously not correct . I've been using VirtualBox in Karmic with no problems.

Beans
    Distro

A correction to the posts above. When I said I wasn't running hald, it appears I was wrong.

It seems that when you run 'sudo hald', this spawns a number of processes related to hal. I assumed that if I restarted the machine after this, that meant hald was not running after the machine came up again. WRONG!!! I don't understand this, but the hald processes seem to come back again. Doing 'ps -ef | grep hald' shows exactly the same processes after the reboot as before. These processes do eventually go away, but how long this takes I'm not sure.

Sorry for misleading anyone about this, take note of the other posts saying that you do need to run 'sudo hald', because they are correct.

I only need to run hald as root, after this running VirtualBox as a normal user works OK with USB storage devices.

Beans

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6343

known bug, will probably be fixed in a lucid version of virtualbox, temp work around is to run this before you start up your vb instance:

sudo hald --daemon=no

from command line, but has to be done each time you reboot your ubuntu box.

hal was ripped out I believe from 10.04 and I think this spawns some legacy stuff to allow virtualbox/usbfs to function.
    Last edited by driftertx; April 29th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Try virtualbox 3.2.0~beta1.
    It works for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123