Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04/VirtualBox no USB

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04/VirtualBox no USB

Quote Originally Posted by lochbroom View Post
    I have 10.04 installed on a VB and everything works fine except the USB ports, no trace when I plug in a Memory Stick. Can anyone help?

Thanks...John
    It all depends on which version is your host. The OSE (from the ubuntu repo) does not support it but the PULE from virtualbox.org does.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth on this one.

I was having the same problem - Lucid beta install with virtualbox downloaded from their website (so it is the one with USB support). I wanted to try installing Windows 7 as a virtual machine, and use the USB support to update a GPS navigator which will only talk to windows (Boo!!!).

This just did not work. I tried out the suggestions above one by one:

- went into users and groups and selected my user to be part of the vboxusers group
    - went into the USB section of the selections for the virtual machine, located the USB device (which was certainly detected), and added a filter for it
    - installed guest additions in the win7 VM (this didn't help)
    - turned on IO APIC as detailed in the VirtualBox/USB documentation above (this installed OK in the VM, but didn't help with USB)
    - tried running hald as sudo hald (this ran, but did not seem to make any difference)
    - tried modifying fstab as used to be done for Karmic, and this rendered the system unbootable. I had to use the Lucid live CD to get back in and undo this.
    - tried running virtualbox as root (sudo VirtualBox). This did start OK, but I had already spent some time setting up the virtual machine as a normal user, so I didn't want to go through it again. I exited from this, went back to the win7 virtual machine and tested again. USB still not working.

At this point, I was willing to try anything, and had a copy of Lubuntu 10.04 beta iso. So I ran virtualbox as root again, and installed a Lubuntu virtual machine running as root. I went into the selections for this machine, added a filter for the USB device, and BINGO! it worked. I was then able to access any USB device I wanted in this VM just by adding a filter. I did not install the guest additions in this VM.

Then, I exited this VM, and went back to the win7 VM as a normal user. The USB then worked, and I was able to mount and access the GPS and other USB devices.

I then completely deleted the Lubuntu machine installed as root, and did the same install again as the normal user. USB worked in this VM by just adding filters, and did not need guest additions.

So, to cut a long story short, USB would not work until a virtual machine was installed as root and a USB device was configured there. Once this was done, USB happily worked in VM's set up as a normal user, even after the root VM was deleted. It is also not necessary to run hald, I am not running it for either of these VM's.

It looks as if there is something which needs to be set up in order to get USB support going, and this can only be done by root. Once this is done, a normal user can use it.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
    Last edited by Whitby; April 6th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.

Beans

I had similar problem with Linux Mint 8 (a variation of Ubuntu) on a HP computer. I solved the problem by UNcheck the "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" in the VirtualBox settings for USB. It worked without installing or login VB as root.
    Aubrey @
    gain4you.net

Beans
    Distro

I follow the steps that Whitby mention a couple of reply above this one with the difference of using the virtualbox from the repositories and now I can't find a way to enable the USB as he mention through filters. So, my question is:

Do you actually need to have the one from the website to do this? Kinda silly question because he mentioned it, and I can't find an option on the repos version but I just wanted to make sure before I do the hole thing again...

ps - First time I tried Lubuntu and I'm very impressed...
    Let the source be with you...

Beans

I seem to have a similar problem. I am using Virtualbox 3.1.6 (Non-OSE) with Lucid x64 (all patches / kernel -21). hal is still installed on my machine - and after adding myself to the virtualbox usergroup, I was able to select my USB devices - except my 2 USB printers, which remained grayed out ("unavailable").

Using the "hald" command suggested in this thread did not make a difference, neither did disabling USB 2.0 support in VirtualBox. I was finally able to get my USB printers to be selectable (and working) by running VirtualBox as root ("sudo virtualbox").

Obviously, having to run Virtualbox as root is only a hack - for security reasons, VB really should not run with elevated privileges! So any idea why it takes root privileges on the Lucid host to print under VB 3.1.6? The same setup in Jaunty works just fine without elevated privileges!

BTW: the guest is Win XP SP3 32bit, even though I don't believe that matters for this issue.

Beans
    Distro

That was unexpected...

After doing some reading and discovering that there were two different version of Virutabox (OSE and noneOSE). I went ahead and uinstalled virtualbox from my machine and installed the one from the website (noneOSE version).

Start it up after installation and to my surprise my old machine was still there... I only had to go and enable USB and VOALA!!! working out of the box, nothing else to be done....
    Let the source be with you...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heepie View Post
    That was unexpected...

After doing some reading and discovering that there were two different version of Virutabox (OSE and noneOSE). I went ahead and uinstalled virtualbox from my machine and installed the one from the website (noneOSE version).

Start it up after installation and to my surprise my old machine was still there... I only had to go and enable USB and VOALA!!! working out of the box, nothing else to be done....
    Yeah virtual machines are great like that! You can back them up on to a dvd or secondary drive and restore the whole thing if there's a problem.

Beans

I have virtualbox (non-free) working with usb in lucid.

Every time I run it, I run 'sudo hald' in terminal, then (this is important) I start virtualbox from the same terminal (VirtualBox).

I don't know if those expressing issues with starting hald first were running vbox from the terminal or not, but I was instructed to do it this way and it has worked ever since.

Beans
    Distro

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=123,devmode=664 0 0
    If you have this line in your fstab you should remove it.

/proc/bus/usb no longer exists in lucid. usb devices are now handled by udev.

erkiha's temporary fix is the only solution until vbox updates for lucid (should happed shortly after release).
    Repair:dpkg --configure -a Reconfigure:dpkg-reconfigure pkg (-a) Fix:apt-get -f install (pkg) Nuke:dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq -r pkg Corrupt deb:rm /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg Hack dpkg:rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg* Chroot unbootable ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

then (this is important) I start virtualbox from the same terminal (VirtualBox).
    this should make no difference. you just need to make sure that you are not running vbox prior to running hal.
    Repair:dpkg --configure -a Reconfigure:dpkg-reconfigure pkg (-a) Fix:apt-get -f install (pkg) Nuke:dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq -r pkg Corrupt deb:rm /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg Hack dpkg:rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg* Chroot unbootable ubuntu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast