Thread: Bash search files and folders sed replace

Beans

Bash search files and folders sed replace

I'm trying to write a bash script which will search through a folder (/home) and replace certain characters with another in file names and folder names. Here's what I've written so far.

So far I have to run two scripts, the first one replaces all spaces with an underscore. Here I also run into the same problem as in the second script.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Script to replace spaces with _  Run before Script SpecialCharacters

find . -name "* *"|while read file
    do
            echo "$file"
        mv "$file" "`echo "$file"| awk ' BEGIN {OFS="_"} $1=$1 '`"
    done
    So the problem is, "find" prints out a list, of all filenames/directories with a space in them. Let's say I have the following

"/home/test a directory/another space/"
    When I run the script it'll find both but can only rename the first directory
    "/home/test_a_directory/another space/"
    It can't rename the second directory because the path has changed (rename on the first folder from test a directory to test_a_directory).

So what I want to achieve is for this script to first look into a directory find a space move the folder to _ and then to enter the directory and continue the search. Instead of first finding all the spaces and then trying to rename them, because I have to run the above script a number of times until all spaces are then replaced. Anybody have an idea how to get this done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Bash search files and folders sed replace

Why do you want to replace all spaces with underscores?

Anyway, you can use find and prename like this (check the man-page of prename to see what the -n does):

Code:
    find . -depth -name "* *" -execdir prename -n 'y/ /_/' {} +
    Also see http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/030